Newsletter of the
ELGIN COUNTY BRANCH
ONTARIO GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
VOL. 2 ISSUE 1 MARCH 1983
Our Library is now beginning to look like a library. We have some books. We wish to thank everyone that responded so quickly to our request for books and family histories. If you have a family history, we would very much like a copy of it, if necessary we are prepared to photo copy it.
George Thorman was the major contributor with the following:
– Record of Burials by the Rectors of St. Thomas’ and Trinity Church from 25 July 1824 to 7 October 1915, plus survey of all gravestones in St. Thomas Churchyard existing in 1979.
– Record of Marriages by Rectors of St. Peter’s Church, Tyrconnel from 13 January 1844 to 5 September 1928 plus Record of Burials by the Rectors of St. Peter’s Church, Tyrconnel from 14 February 1844 to 22 February 1977 plus a survey of all gravestones in St. Peter’s and St.
Stephen’s Cemeteries to June 1980.
– Record of marriages by the Rectors of St. Thomas Church and Trinity Church from 21 October 1,853 to 14 March 1916.
– Record of Marriages by Rectors of St. Thomas’ Church from 25 July 1824 to 4 October 1853. – Record of Witnesses and Sponsors at St. Thomas’ Church from 16 April 1820 to 28 July 1822 and 25 July 1824 to 4 October 1853.
– St. Thomas Cemetery. A list of burials from 23 March 1889 to 31 December 1899.
Eugene P. Amos #74 donated Ancestry from A to Z; Andrew Russell-Hannah Bateman Family was donated by Edna Gould Jones #97: Descendants of Robert Miliman 1808-1878 from Ralph & Marion Millman; Lyle and Edmonston Family Charts from Hubert Dollar; St. Thomas and its Men of Affairs, Eileen Mycroft #7; Butler-Ellis-McKoy Family from Stan Daugharty #4; Descendants of Samuel John Smith & Sarah Curtis Smith donated by Margaret Sharon #120. Penhale Family from Ilene Begg #2; McCormick Family from Ian Begg #2; Smith-MillardSharon-Spackman Family from Margaret Sharon #120; Duncan & Iver Ferguson from Marg Daugharty #4.
December – Dinner meeting to finish off our year was most successful. We welcomed Larry Grant, new curator of the Elgin County Pioneer Museum.
Two motions were passed 1) to honor the request of the Library of Congress in Washington,
D.C. for copies of the Talbot Times. 2) to request that the O.G.S. pay the cost of the cemetery transcriptions sent to them. Election of officers followed.
Chairman Tony Hofstee
Vice-Chairman Stan Daugharty
Treasurer Anna Hofstee
Recording Secretary Brenda Edmonds
Membership Secretary Sylvia Harvey
Queries Secretary Norma Smith
Assistant Kay Fowler
Newsletter Joyce Locke & Eileen Mycroft
Current Death Notices File for Elgin Vera Vint
Al dborough David Van Seader
Dunwi ch Jean Drummelsmith
Southwold Marg Daugharty
Yarmouth Norma Smith
Malahide Marg Hutton
We still need cemetery co-ordinators for Bayham and South Dorchester Townships.
January – Beginner’s Night – Although we didn’t have an influx of beginners, we did have a most successful meeting. Our own members told of their experiences, and the problems they encountered. Marg Daugharty spoke on research in Scotland. Marg brought a large collection of books that were very popular. Kay Fowler told of searches in Ireland and particulary “what not to do.” Eileen Mycroft spoke of experiences in England with addresses of where to write for a variety of information. Joyce Locke had the answers on finding military records in Canada. Bob Moore gave an account of searching in Michigan, the OGS Library and the Ontario Registry Office in Toronto. Don Cousens ably told of the records available at the St Thomas Registry office, and answered members questions. When the speakers had finished, members at large added their experiences, filling in extra information, or asking questions. It was truly a group effort as far as exchanging books, addresses and frustrations.
February – “Well-known Doctors of Elgin County” was the topic of Wayne Paddon’s talk. The Doctors of Elgin were held with such reverence that they were in a position to have a dynamic effect on the community. They were mostly very brilliant men with a keen sense of responsibility for their fellow man. They ran for political offices where they were in a position to initiate and carry out major changes for the betterment of all. They ran against strong and sometimes even corrupt men.
Dr. Duncan McLarty. Dr. John Rolf (Dr. John ROLPH) a brilliant man and the founder of University of Toronto Medical School. Others mentioned were mayors of St. Thomas, Dr. VanBuskirk, Dr. Gustin and Dr. J.D. Curtis.
LIST OF WARDENS, COUNTY OF ELGIN
1852 E.S. Ganson & Thomas Locker
1853 Thomas Locker
1854 Thomas Locker
1855 Thomas Locker
1856 Randolph Johnson
1857 Randolph Johnson
1858 Levi Fowler
1859 Levi Flowler
1860 James Armstrong
1861 J.H. Jones
1862 J.H. Jones
1863 Daniel Luton
1864 George Suffel
1865 John Clunas
1866 T.M. Nairn
1867 T.M. Nairn
1868 T.M. Nairn
1869 T.M. Nairn
1870 T.M. Nairn
1871 T.M. Nairn
1872 John Ellison
1873 John McCausland
1874 John McCausland
1875 George Suffel
1876 George Suffel
1877 Samuel Day
1878 Edward Hegler
1879 T.W. Kirkpatrick
1880 James Martin
1881 Manuel Payne
1882 J.B. Mills
1883 John A. Miller
1884 A.J. Leitch
1885 Samuel S. Cluton
1886 James Hepburn
1887 J.C. Dance
1888 Donald Turner
1889 H.T. Godwin
1890 John J. Stalker
1891 A.N. Cline
1892 M.E. Lyon
1893 A.A. McKillop
1894 W.M. Ford
1895 John Thomson
1896 Richard Locker
1897 A.J. Leitch
1898 Daniel Lang
1899 Oscar McKenney
1900 David F. Moore
1901 W.O. Pollock
1902 William Jackson
1903 Edward McKellar
1904 David Stratton
1905 Angus Turner
1906 W.F. Luton
1907 Wm. Tolmie
1908 Chas. O. Luton
1909 John R. Summers
1910 Donald McLean
1911 Sidney McDermand
1912 Alex. Anderson
1913 Jos. A. Jackson 1914 John Dromgole
1915 Alex. McColl
1916 G.F. Pineo
1917 James A. McLean
1918 N.S. Cornell
1919 W.H. Turner
1920 W.H. Mills
1921 H.C. McKillop
1922 E.E. McTaggart
1923 H. Dromgole
1924 Arthur Barons
1925 W. Anderson
1926 R.B. McKenney
1927 D. Crosson
1928 W.W. Kiddie
1929 John Leitch
1930 D.K. Andrew
1931 H.G. Taylor
1932 Stewart A. Brown
1933 Harvey L. Lawton
1934 E.L. Livermore
1935 John D. Thomson
1936 Grant Mitchell
1937 William E. Locke
1938 Ernest Lashbrook
1939 Ashton Pineo
1940 Clarence Patterson
1941 J.G. Turnbull
1942 Ralph Auckland
1943 E.E. Atkinson
1944 J.C. Gillies
1945 C.D. Coyle
1946 Fred S. Shively
1947 James A. McBain
1948 James C. Jenkins
1949 Stuart Little
1950 A.V. Coulter
1951 Charles F. Jackson
1952 Ronald K. McNeil
1953 William S. McKillop
1954 Kenneth M. Williamson
1955 P.W. Schleihauf
1956 Howard Palmer
1957 James C Hindley
1958 John B. Wilson
1959 Lloyd S. Gurr
1960 Harvey Liddle 1972 John W. Hodgson
1961 Donald Burgess 1973 R. Nelson Johnston
1962 Charles D. Phillips 1974 Ronald L. Lake
1963 Kenneth C. Emerson 1975 Albert H. Liebner
1964 Russel McKibbin 1976 Matthew A. Schafer
1965 Donald C. Leitch 1977 David K. Cook
1966 John V. McKinlay 1978 Lorne R. Carroll
1967 Albert W. Auckland 1979 Sydney J. Glover
1968 A. Bruce McCallum 1980 Lester A. Longhurst
1969 John C. Wise 1981 Ken Monteith
1970 William R. Caverly 1982 Larry Shaw
1971 Douglas R. Todd 1983 Ernest H. Marr
This list was given courtesy of Lester A. Longhurst, Talbotville
FRIENDSHIP AUTOGRAPH & ALBUM dates – 1842 to 1846.
Two names are mentioned to – Mifs Campbell and Mrs. Adams. – some of the writings are titled and most are in beautiful penmanship. This album is in the El gin County Museum.
Mifs E. Campbell by Hannah Moore
Manners & Morals by George Poole, Wesleyan Minister
The Old is Better by Margaret Leham Poole
Virtue by Charlotte Durkee
A Tale of Love & War by J.K. Luton
A Thought on Eternity – Written 14th Feby. 1843 by J.K. Luton
Whoso Readeth Let Him Remember, Let Him Understand by Joseph Forsyth
Times Addressed to a Universalist – J.K.L. 22th April, 1843
(No title) – by Elizabeth Phelps
(No title) – by E. Phelps
To Mifs Campbell (No title) – Sparta, December 1846 by Wm. A. Eakins (No title) by Rev. S. Miles – Pittsford, Monroe Co., N.Y. (No title) by Mary Willcox
(No title) by Abishai Morse – Smithville, April 20, 1833 The Hour of Death by Sarah H. Morse, Grimsby, Mar. 12, 1843 (No title) – Grimsby April 16, 1843 – by Jane E.
To Mrs. Adams – Intended to have been an Acrostick on Psalm 84th and 11 verse – Grimsby,
May 4, 1846 by Hester A. Merritt
To Mrs. Adams – The Pleasures of Religion by Sarah M. Adams
To Mrs. Adams- by E.W.F., Smithville, Aug. 12, 1844
(No title) – by A. Simmons
(No title) – January 18, 1846 by Maretta Smith
(No title) – Smithville, May 15, 1842 by Elizabeth Collin
(No title) – by E. Spark
Mrs. Adam’s Album – Friendship & Religion by Hester A. Merritt
(No title) – by Antia A. Holstead
Value of a Moment – by Amanda S. Adams
Mrs. Adam’s Album – Grimsby Jule (?) A. Hill
The Comforts of Peace by J. Tufford
Gather Your Roses by Can?? Willcox
Friendship – by Elizabeth Warren to Elizabeth Campbell To Mrs. Adams – Smithville, June 20, 1846 by Caroline A. Drake To Mifs Adams – Grimsby, Aug. 26, 1846 by G.A.S.
Devotion by Emiline Williams
(No title) by Elizabeth Fraser
Virtue & Modesty by Smith P. Morrison
To Elizabeth by H. Waddel, Smithville
TALBOT ROAD TOUR
Starting west along the Talbot Road, this tour will lead to the homes of the first pioneers to be located in the Talbot Settlement under Col. Thomas Talbot. The whole district is replete with history and fine homes, but reference will be limited to a few.
The Talbot Road – At the top of the west Talbot Hill, on the right, attention is drawn to the historic road, by a plaque erected by the Ontario Archeological and Historic Sites Board. This is one of the earliest pioneer roads of Upper Canada.
The Rolph Farm – About one mile west of St. Thomas, on the left, another similar plaque marks the former Rolph Farm, where Dr. Thomas Rolph was buried in 1814. His son, Dr. John Rolph, who lived here, became very prominent in the early history of Upper Canada. One of the first
Medical Schools in Canada was founded in St. Thomas in 1824 by Dr. John
Rolph and Dr. Charles Duncombe, and the former was also a founder later of the Medical School in Toronto.
Apple Grove Grange – At the curve in the road, just beyond the railroad in Middlemarch, the old hall of Apple Grove Grange 166, built in 1880, may be seen on the left. It was for many years used as the Middlemarch Women’s Institute Hall, and it was these Women’s Institutes of Elgin County that we owe the Elgin County Pioneer Museum.
The Casey Farm – Nearly two miles farther on, the large house on the left, set well back in spacious, well-kept grounds, was once the home of George E. Casey, an early Member of Parliament for this district. Beautiful fireplaces are one of the features of this home.
Amasa Wood Home – Entering the village of Fingal, the large red brick house on the hill at the left is the former home of Amasa Wood, who began business in that village with a general store and a tavern in the early days of the village. He later moved to St. Thomas. The old section of the Memorial Hospital was an early general hospital and was known as the Amasa Wood Hospital.
Sutherland Home – The interesting architecture of the white frame house on the right near the
Southwold-Dunwich townline shows it to be of the early days. It was for many years the home of Mr. Lawrence Sutherland, and a prized family heirloom there was a walnut sideboard which was a gift from Col. Talbot.
Burwell’s Corners – A cairn at the Southwold-Dunwich townline marks the site of the home of Col. Mahlon Burwell and the early registry office for the County of Middlesex. It was probably the first brick house in Dunwich and was a very large building.
St. Stephen’s Church – Next on the left is St. Stephen’s Anglican Church, built on land given by Col. Burwell and opened for service in 1872. Col. and Mrs. Burwell are buried in the churchyard there.
“Malahide Farm” – This extends through the valley on both sides of the road and up the hill. It was overlooking the lake on the west hill that Col. the Hon. Thomas Talbot built his home. This is the very centre of the wide-spread pioneer settlement which bears the name of the courageous, far-sighted son of a noble Irish family who came in 1803 to open up and to direct the development of this part of Upper Canada. Col. Talbot’s mill and Col. Burwell’s first home were situated in the valley and were destroyed by the enemy in the war of 1812-14. It is worth while to read the inscription on the cairn here.
Jeffery Hunter Farm – The next farm on the left was that of Jeffrey Hunter, who was Col.
Talbot’s personal attendant for many years. Once part of Col. Talbot’s demesne, it was recently bought back into the estate.
The Bobier District – Proceeding farther west, the next hill is in the midst of a district settled by the Bobier family. The quaint cottage at the right on the top of the west hill is an early Bobier Home. The “John B.” mention in Mrs. Anna Jameson’s account of vist to Cal. Talbot as her driver from there to Chatham, was John Bobier. (“Winter Studies and Summer Rambles”).
William Pearce Farm – The tour follows the old Talbot Road up the main hill to the right and proceeds farther west. At the end (where and abrupt left turn must be made to go towards the lake) one may see in the distance ahead, at the end of a very long lane, the farm home of William Pearce, who as a little boy arriving with his family the original Pearce settlers, was carried up the hill by Col. Talbot.
John Pearce Farm – Arriving at the lake road, the John Pearce home, where the original pioneer of that name settled in 1809, may be seen ahead and a little to the right. It is now owned by his great-great-grandson, Mr. John S. Pearce. We have now reached the homesteads of the first settlers. At one time a large singing class was held in the loom house of the Pearce home, the teacher being Mr. Archibald Duncan, son-in-law of Col. Patterson.
The Storey Farm – Turning left, the farm on the left, was first settled by Mrs. Mary Storey in 1809. The present house was built in 1851 by Andrew Backus, eldest son of the eleven children of Stephen and Anne (Storey) Backus. Their grandson Mr. John E. Pearce, states that the brick was tramped out by oxen from clay in the ravine at the rear of the house.
Pearce Park – On the left, over the hill, is seen the spacious rectory of St. Peter’s Anglican Church. On the right is the John E. Pearce Provincial Park, named for the donor of this lovely piece of woodland, once part of Mrs. Storey’s farm, and given that it might be preserved for posterity.
St. Peter’s Cemetery – Across the road is the cemetery, where Col. Talbot, founder of the Talbot Settlement, was buried in 1853, and where are to be seen too the names of George Crane, the first settler, and those four families who followed in 1809 and 1810, as well as those of many other God-fearing, courageous pioneers.
Leslie Patterson Farm – The lake road next passes the farm of Leslie Patterson, who with John Pearce, his brother-in-law, came in 1808 seeking a suitable place for a homestead and found it here. They returned in 1809 with their families and with Mrs Storey and her family, Mrs. Storey being a sister of Col Patterson and Mrs. Pearce. The present home is believed to have been built in 1827 and it was here that the same year that the first Confirmation service in Elgin County was held by Bishop Stewart of Quebec. It is recalled that orignally it was possible to drive under this house with a yoke of oxen to unload supplies from boats anchored at the beach, south of the house.
Stephen Backus Farm – The next house on the left is the fourth homestead of the family group of
Cal. Talbot’s first settlers. It was here that Mrs. Patterson’s brother, Stephen Backus, settled in
1810, and here that he brought his bride, Anne Storey, shortly afterwards. This house was built about 1830. Mr. John E. Pearce’s mother recalled three of her aunts, spinning and weaving together here.
Conn Farm – The white cottage on the left on the brow of the next hill was formerly the home of Meredith Conn, a leading Methodist of the early days, and the first school in Dunwich was built here in the 1820’s.
George Crane Farm – It was to the right at the end of the next side road (Plum Point Road) which you pass on your right that George Crane built his early home. Having come with Col. Talbot in 1803, being the Colonel’s first settler when he was allotted a farm in 1806.
F.Y.I. – Commonly used short forms, please note, no periods.
anc ancestor b born bd buried bapt baptised c about (time) cem cemetery ch children dau daughter desc descendant info information m married
TUCKER – MacCALLUM. Hugh McCallum m Sarah Tucker c 1844. Any info on Sarah to Mrs. Muriel Arnason. #57
PARKER-PRATT-THAYER. Nancy Parker, b Yarmouth, m 1) Jarvis Thayer, 1825 2) Edward Pratt, 1832. Need prts of Nancy Parker, her death date and any desc of Nancy PARKER and Edward PRATT. Info to Mr. Donald Erkfritz, #116.
PICKARD, James d Sparta 1886, any info on desc to Rev. J. G. Vanslyke #78.
McCONNELL, Marenus (Merinus) lived Jamestown c 1857. Any info to Rev. J.G. Vanslyke #78.
COWELL, Elizabeth m Abner KELLEY both of Southwold on Dec. 27, 1836. Any info on prts or desc to Mrs. J.L. Knox #119.
COWELL, Matthias m Martha —, when? where? ch Moses, b c 1814, Elisabeth b c 1815. Any info on Matthias COWELL & wife to Mrs. J.L. Knox #119.
CAMPBELL, Frederick Dufferin b March 3, 1885, Aylmer, c 1929, Toronto. Siblings William, Louise, Nell. Ch John, Charles, Helen, Kenneth, Frank. Wife, Carrie Maude Purdy. Any info to Mrs. Susan L. Sabourin #65.
UDELL – YOUNG. George UDELL b Apr. 14, 1829 of Malahide m Nancy Young b Apr. 10, 1832 of Malahide on Apr. 16, 1853. Need info on parents of George and Nancy. Ch James A. and Elijah Wesley. Info to Donald Udell #69.
ROWE, Edward b c 1864 Bayham, d June 1934. m? to Blashell, Bessie Jane (d 1944), Any info on prts to Tony Hofstee, #35.
BERDAN, Mary Della b 1870 Aylmer?, dau of Jacob & Lucinda HUNTER. Need birthdate and any info on prts Tony Hofstee #35.
SPITLER – SELLS – need info on ch of Joseph SPITLER (1776-1856) & Catherine SELLS (1776-1858) in Fingal area. Mrs. Nelson Elgin – #117.
SPITLER – STEINHOFF- need info on all 19 ch of John SPITLER (c1800-1878) & Sarah STEINHOFF (b c 1810) m St. Thomas 1826 Mrs. Nelson Elgin #117.
DENNIS, Thomas (b c 1800) m Rose Ann FIRBY, Bayham Twp, ch. Thomas (m Effa RIBBLE), Robert (m Charlotte), Elizabeth, James FIRBY (m Florena BURLEY), William Burton (m Mary HOGADONE), Joseph, Lorna. Any info on above and their desc to Debra Tribe #60. BURLEY (BURLEIGH), Anthony – wife Mary, ch Florena (b Mich. c 1835) m James Dennis 1870, Bayham twp Any info on family to Debra Tribe #60.
TRACEY, George m Ebbit Grace AXFORD (bapt April 7, 1823 in Devonshire, England) on Mar. 18, 1848 in Malahide Twp. Had son, George Albert b Feb. 29, 1849 – bapt Aug. 26, 1849.
Would like to contact a desc To Samuel J. Axford #77
FERGUSON, Peter m Ann AXFORD (bapt April 18, 1819, in Devonshire, Eng) on Sept. 26, 1844 in St. Thomas, Ontario (witnesses Joseph WHITEHAM & John JEFFERY). Dau m Edwin McILROY who work for Goulds & then operated a dry goods store at 631 Talbot St., St. Thomas, in the early 1930’s. Would like to contact a desc of this family. To Samuel J. Axford, #77.
STEWART – looking for anc and desc of Duncan STEWART and Margaret DRUMMOND who came to Canada in 1834 from Comrie Scotland. They had one dau Catharine (1833) 15 months old at that time. Landed in Montreal after 8 weeks voyage – Moved westwards to “Muddy York”, then to Hamilton for 13 years then to Ancaster for 4 years, back to Hamilton, then to Maple Grove in Bayham Twp, Elgin County. Info to Mrs. Norma Smith #20.
SOPER Hyram, Bayham Twp and wife Jane Pritchard Soper (1817-1899) who later married
Robert Couchman, also son Marcellus Soper. Info to Irene Soper #32
LAWSON – Eva Douglas, Was in Southwold Twp, moving to Mabees Corners, then to Detroit before 1913. Was a nurse, m. Thomas Smith. Info to Irene Soper #32
DOAN, William and Sarah (Teeple) DOAN m 1853-57 era. To M.F. Doan #109
CRANE, Nathaniel and Malinda (DOAN) Crane m. 1869-73 era. Need names of children and desc of both above. Info to M.F. Doan #109
CORLISS – James b 1801 & w Mary Nichols b 1801 lived Con 8, Lot 27 Bayham twp in 1861 with ch David, Daniel, John, Maria & Mary. Seek info on John b 1836 and wish to contact any desc. Where are they buried? Any info to James L. McCallum #90
CLARK, Charles Kenneth b 1877 Eagle d 1947 brother James Alexander Clark d 6 May 1931, West Lorne. Info needed on birthplace and exact birthdate. Father is James Clark d 1904 West Lorne. Info to Georgina E. Clark #66.
MONTGOMERY, Sarah, dau of John MONTGOMERY and Katherine Kinney had brother
George (b 1837 Ireland) m 1) Letitia Sutherland, 2) Mary Jane Arnold. Sarah bd St. Thomas? George worked for MCR. Info on George’s marriages and wives and their desc. to Iona Hammond #67.
ROYAL – McCABE Ann Francis RYALL b ? Dunwich m ? to Thomas McCABE b c 1820, son of James McCABE and Bridget Delia KELLY. Any info on Ann FRANCES or desc to Florence Yori #45.
ZAVITZ, Henry b Buck’s Cty PA settled Niagara Penninsula gf of Benjamin ZAVITZ m Esther AUGUSTINE who eloped to Lobo Twp. Need name of Henry’s wife and any info on ZAVITZ, George 1, Jacob 2, Henry 3, Benjamin 4. Info to Florence Yori, #45.