Talbot Times 1982 June

PDF

TALBOT TIMES

Newsletter of the

ELGIN COUNTY BRANCH

ONTARIO GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

VOL. I        ISSUE 2                    JUNE 1982

A LETTER TO US FROM VICTORIA, B.C.

Elgin County Branch, O.G.S.

From the Kent County branch newsletter, we learned about your new branch. The Annett family tree members came from England to Elgin County. Here’s a brief history of the Robert Annett family who came to Elgin County:

Captain Robert Annett’s son, Philip Annett, born 18 August 1810, when nineteen years old, and his sister, Louisa, age fifteen years, came with a neighbour named Silcox to Canada in 1829. They were six weeks on the ocean in a sailing vessel. In 1831 Robert Annett, his wife Sara Mines, with seven more of the family came to the woods of Southwold, near St. Thomas.  George, Joseph, Stephen, Noah, Jeremiah, Jane and Eliza came with their parents.  Three other children (Robert, Charles and Elizabeth deceased~ remained in England. Jeremiah married and remained in Southwold Township, Elgin County. Noah later settled near Glencoe, Middlesex. Robert Annett with four sons and three daughters went on to Euphemia Township, Lambton County.

Robert settled on Lot East half 29, Conc. 9. Joseph settled on the same farm. Philip settled on Lot West half 29, Conc. 9, George and Stephen purchased farms near there. George also owned and operated a cheese factory. Eliza married Robert Sutton, Jane married Edward Arnold, Louisa married Joseph Arnold and moved to Indiana. All except Eliza had families.

Perhaps you might want to use the above-mentioned info in your newsletter.

Yours truly, Mrs. N. (Noreen) S. Annett, 1403 Ryan St, , Victoria

B.C. V8R 2V9    (dated 16 May, 1982.)

APRIL MEETING— Our monthly meeting was held at the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints on Elm St., St. Thomas. Our group is going to zero—in on cemetery recordings of Elgin. Our first co—ordinators “volunteered”. D. Van Seader will be the co—ordinator in Aldborough, Mrs. Norma Smith in Yarmouth, and Mrs. I. Begg, Ian Begg and Mrs. Marg Daugharty in Southwold.

A motion from the floor to have a voluntary collection at each meeting was passed unanimously.

A sum of $25 was collected. It certainly helps with the expenses. The fees for 1983 were set at $6 for an individual branch membership and $8 for a family membership.

Don Carroll, of the West Elgin Genealogical and Historical Society, spoke briefly about the foundation of the society. The society does extensive displays at the Dutton Games.  In 1981 the society decided to concentrate on transcribing cemeteries. Mr. Carroll then introduced the guest speakers, Irving Thomas, artist and philatelist, and Keith Kelly, Reeve of Aldborough Township.

Mr. Thomas spoke about the background of the postage stamp and about the early beginnings of the Canadian Postal System. Mr. Kelly followed this with a look at early post offices in West Elgin. Many well—known names are associated with the early postmasters (list included in this issue) of the area. Unfortunately Mr. Kelly was unable to finish his talk on the early post offices in the west end of Elgin as time ran out. It is hoped that he will be back some day to finish his talk.

MAY MEETING

was held at the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints in St. Thomas. We now have a post office box. Our official address is –  Elgin County Branch, OGS, P.O. Box 416, St. Thomas, ON N5P 3V2.

Steve Peters, vice—chairman, introduced the guest speaker, Ed Phelps of the Regional Collection at the D.B. Weldon Library, the University of Western Ontario.

Mr. Phelps spoke about the development of records in the Elgin area. Up until 1849, Elgin was part of the London District along with Oxford, Middlesex, Perth and Huron. In 1827 London was made the seat of government for the area and all officials were asked to send their records to London. This did not sit well with some officials, especially a Mr. Walsh of Simcoe. He refused to move to London and retained his records in Simcoe (records dating back to 1800). Mr. Phelps said this was fortunate because all the records of London District burnt in the great fire of 1846. Elgin and Middlesex wills of the period 1838 to 1846 were lost. However during the 1970’s Mr. Walsh’s old records were found in the vaults of the old Simcoe court house. Wills, deeds and receipts back to 1800 were discovered.

Up to 1850 the Clerk of the Peace was in charge of registering wills, assessment rolls, etc. After 1850, the new county governments took over. The assessment rolls for Elgin County from 1858 to 1912 still exist. They are available at the Regional Collection, D.B. Weldon Library. Mr. Phelps also noted that school census books were an excellent source of information for genealogists. Many of these books have disappeared or are in private hands and not available to the public.

Anyone having information on 1) old school census books, 2) copies of the Aylmer Express prior to 1890 or after 1945, 3) church records or 4) foresters lodge records should contact Mr. Phelps.

We have been very fortunate to have such well informed speakers, our thanks to Irving Thomas, Keith Kelly and Ed Phelps.

CEMETERY RECORDING PROGRESS

Co—ordinators –

Aldborough Township – D. Van Seader

Southwold Township – Mrs. I. Begg, Mrs. M. Daugharty, Ian Begg

Yarmouth Township – Mrs. Norma Smith

We still need co-ordinators for South Dorchester, Malahide and Bayham Townships.

MELLOR CEMETERY – Joyce Locke has recorded and measured the stones in the Mellor Cemetery (also known as White’s Station Cemetery) and it will be turned over to the Southwold co-ordinators shortly. This cemetery is located in Southwold Township, Elgin County “South part, lot 4, range 2 ERR” (East River Road). The last burial took place in 1922.

LOVE CEMETERY – Aldborough Township, Conc. 12, lot 23 is presently being recorded by the members of the West Elgin Genealogical and Historical Society.

SILAS TOLES

On the south side of the west end of Wellington Road, there is a steep hill covered with trees, wild flowers, brush and at the very top stands a huge stone monument.  The names inscribed on it are as follows:

Silas Toles             1791    — 1871

Margaret Toles      1794    — 1840

Anna Toles              1818    — 1829

The slopes fall off on all sides of the stone, which makes it an ideal location for the spirits of these pioneers to watch over the country they helped to build so long ago.

Silas Toles was a Dutchman born May 28, 1791 in New York State.  He came to Canada with the United Empire Loyalists and fought in the war of 1812.  He was wounded at the battle of Lundy’s Lane. Toles was given this land as recognition of his services in the war.

In 1813 Silas was planning to marry Margaret Kelley of Niagara Falls.  The Kelleys did not approve of having a Dutchman marry their daughter and so Silas and Margaret eloped.  It is said, that they eloped to the tune of bullets.  They married in St. Thomas and the family soon accepted it and became friendly.  Silas and Margaret raised ten children.

The Kelleys were suspected of taking part in the 1837 rebellion and the Toles house was searched because they thought the Kelley’s might be hiding there.  Mrs. Toles did not like the intrusion and broke a chair over the head of the investingating officer.  They decided to have one of their boys stand guard every night to stop any further intrusions of this kind.  One of the boys, looking for some excitement took a shot at a pig that was running past.  The family wanted to know what he was shooting at and were told that when no one answered when he called out, “Who goes there?”, he fired.

Silas was a school trustee, and heard that a teacher was not performing his duties pro perly, and so he sat in on the classes.  Everything went along well until the spelling match, when the teacher corrected a student. Silas told the teacher that the student was right and a fight errupted.  The teacher struck Silas with a cane, which was a mistake, because Silas gave him a threshing and ended up in jail for 30 days, he also had to pay a $60. fine.  Silas was right about the spelling of the word.

Mrs. Toles and the children were picking berries one day when they were surprised by a bear.

Their screams were heard by some of the men, who chased the bear down the hill to a hotel, which stood by the London road (where it turned up to St. Thomas).  The bear charged into the barroom and wrecked the interior.  It was finally killed at an Indian encampment.

One of the Toles was known for inventing a new type of crosscut saw.

Margaret Toles died in 1840 on her way home from church.  Silas married again to Jane Benjafield Wilton.  He died in 1871.

In the September of 1932, the Toles descendants met on the hill by the grave site.  There were

110 of them.  T.W. Weyburn was the organizer and the committee included F.W. Toles, of Galt; H.B. Brodie of London.  These descendants hired Mr. Travers ofTalbotville to erect the stone that now stands on the hill.  Prior to this, the graves  were marked by a wire fence.

The information for this article was from an old London Free Press Newspaper clipping,  date unknown, supplied by Don Cosens.  Thanks Don.

QUERIES

KERR — Mr. Eugene P. Amos seeks info on John & Jannet Kerr listed in 1861 Southwold census.  Is John bro. to Alexander, Archibald and Colin Kerr also listed in 1861 Southwold census?  Any Kerrs buried in Southwold Township cemeteries, John, Jennet, etc?  1861 census John age 40 b. Scotland, Jennet age 31 b. Scotland.  1871 census John age 60 b. Scotland,

Baptist.  Jenet age 47, b. Scotland, Baptist.  Dau. Margaret married Helmut Zoll/Ross Oct. 6, 1872 in Caradoc.  For further info contact Tony Hofstee. If you have any info please let Tony know.

BALDWIN — #6455, Morley John Baldwin requests any info Charles Bridgman Baldwin m. Susie Hawley, July 24, 1916; and John Webster Baldwin m. Rachel Lanbier, Sept. 4, 1939. Can you help? (address membership list)

WILLSON—WINTEMUTE — searching for desc. of Mordecai Willson and Rachel Van Syckle who came to Southwold Township, Middlesex just prior to Elgin being formed, from Ancaster district.  Also desc. of Benjamin Wintemute and Esterann Melvina Willson b. 1840 both d. 1916 – Esther ann d. Vancouver, B.C.  Eldest dau. taught Alma College, St. Thomas, went to Japan m. Harper Coates both were missionaries there. #7248 Mrs. Norma Smith,

SEAKIN – All occurrences to Mrs. Joyce Locke

OFFER OF HELP – #2634 Mrs. Ceclia Casey,will be visiting Ireland, Scotland and England, July 4 to 26. If she can help, let her know.

The following is a list of West Elgin Post Offices giving their opening and closing dates, also a list of the Post masters.

Port Talbot 1820 – 1870 reopened 1875 – 1914

1820 –               M. Burwell

1853-1865        John Clarke

1867-1870        Geo. Macbeth

1875-1891        Andrew Lunn

1891-1904         John Brown

1904-1914        Thomas Lunn

Aldboro (New Glasgow) 1831 – 1913

Donald Currie (school teacher) P.O. in school

(resigned) McDougald

1839-1841        Duncan McDiarmid

1841-                 Ewen McKinlay

-1857             (died) John McDougald

1858-1865        Donald McDougald

1865-1871        (left the place) Luther Carpenter

1871-1895        Sam Kirkpatrick

1895-1900        D.H. McIntyre

1903-1905        Mrs. D.H. McIntyre

1905-1913        Mrs. Betsy Shoultz

  1. Tyrconnel 1837 -1913

1842-                  Jas. Patterson

1842-                 Leslie Patterson

1853-1854        Thomas Coyne

1855-1858        Jas. Blackwood

1859-1860        Joseph Mitchell

1862-1867        Peter Cameron

1867-1874        Meredith Conn

1874-1883        Samuel Harris

1883-1884        Rev. John Sanderson

1885-1889        John O’Brian

1890-1899        Atkinson Conn

1900-1902        Mrs. Adela Payson

1902-1910        Mrs. Allan Page

1910-1912        Geo. Bexton

1912-1913        Jas. Page

  1. lona 1852 – 1963

1852-                 J. DeCow

1854-1863        Wm. Harris

1863-1868        Daniel Decow

1868-1872        John Philpott

1873-1891        Edmond Roche

1891-1917        Miss Bella Roche

1918-1935        J.0. Lumley    Mrs. Mary Lumley (acting)

1935-1944         Wm. W. Lumley

1944 (acting)-1945    Wm. John Lee Westover

1946(act.ing)-1960(death)    Ray W. Lumley

1960-1963            Mrs. Mae Lumley

Wallacetown         1852 –

1852-1855        A. M. Gunn

1855-1856        D. Gunn

Mayhew

1856-1857        N.D. Mickle

1857-1860        Angus Rose

1860-1873        John McKillop

1873-1879        A.E. St. Th. Barclay

1880-1894        Robert Gunn

1894-1910        Wm. Cusack

1910-1937        Emily Cusack

1939-1960        Mrs. Blanch Rietz

1960 (acting)    Clifford Reitz

1961-(acting)    Mrs. Mary Sloan

1981-                 Mrs. Wallace Pfaff

6.    Brocks Creek         1855 – 1856

1855-1856        Donald McKillop

  1. Largie         1856-1866,    1868-1871,    1873-1884

1855-1856        Neil McEachran

1857-1965        D. McCallum

1868-1870        Archibald Leitch

1870-1871        Hugh McPherson

1873-1884        Allen McPherson

  1. Clachan 1858 – 1915

1858-1867        Jas Marchbank

1868-1870        Dunc. McPhail

1870-1871        Joel Eastman

1871-1875        Dunc. McColl

1876-1881        Charles Jennings

1881-1882        Dunc. McColl

1883-                   Mrs. Mary Carnes

1884-1886        Fred Sticker

1887-1888        Jas. Chase

1889-1892        D.D. McColl

1893-1901        L. Patterson

1901-1910        Mrs. Susan Patterson

1910-1915        J.L. Patterson

  1. Crinan         1859-1967

1859-1892        Dunc McIntyre

1892-1916        John McIntyre

1916-1942        Mrs. Jessie McIntyre

1942-1967        Mrs. Edna McIntyre

10.     Cowal

1863-1871        Neil McBride

1871-1875        Grant Silcox

1875-1885        Jas. McDougall

1886-1888        John Battin

1888-1891        John Thompson

1891-1904        Daniel Thompson

1904-1906        John Thompson

1906-1906        J.A. McGugan

1906-1911        Alex McLachlin

1913-1913        Ruben Adams

  1. Eagle 1863 – 1913

1863-1871        Wm. Mowbray

1871-1872        Elisha Budd Stuart

1873 -1874        Colin Gillies

1874-1913        Philip Lindenman

  1. Rodney 1865 –

1865-1902        Albert Humphrey

1902-1912        John S. McGugan

1912-1927        Donald G. McPherson

1928-1958        John Messerschmid

1958-1966        Alice Paterson

1966-1973        Wallace Pfaff

1973(acting) 1975-1978 Mrs. P. Lewis

1973-1975        W.N. Morey

1978-1978         Steven Pfaff

13.     West Lorne         1873-

1873-1919        Dunc. McKillop

1919-1924        W.J. Wakeling

1924-1925        Cliff Hall

1925-1958        Jas. P. Scott

1958-1978        Mrs. Irene Telford

1978-                   G.N. Freele

  1. Dutton 1887 –

1874-1912        Archibald Leitch

1912-1922        A.A. McKillop

B. Blanchard

1943-1967        Jack A. McNeil

1967-1977        Henry C. Davis 1977-1978        Mrs. K. Ahrens

1978                   Mrs. L. Carroll

1978                    Steven Pfaff

15    Iona Station        1875-

1875-1879        Dunc Galbraith

1880-1883        Dan Decow

1883-1888        Wm. Henderson

1888-1894        Jas. J. Campbell

1894-1912        Joseph Gage

1912-1921        Alfred Widdifield

1921-1940        D. J. McBride

1941-1960        A.M. McBride

1960 (acting)        Alfred Richie

1961-1965        Wilfred Richie

1965-1967         Mrs. E. Richie

(acting) Winnifred Brown

1967-1978        R. T. Hudson

1978-1978        Carol LeCourtois

  1. Campbellton 1875 — 1930

1875-1881        Neil McBride

1882-1898        Mrs. Mary McKeracher

1898-1903        John Searle

1903-1906        Sam Sowden

1906-1911        John Gill

1911-1920        A.C. Turner

1920-1925        George Percival

1926-1937        Miss Mary McPherson

  1. Kintyre 1894 — 1913

1894-1903        Jas. Fleming

1903-1909        Neil Brodie

1909-1913        Miss Sarah Brodie

We wish to thank the West Elgin Genealogical & Historical Society and especially Keith Kelly for making their Post Office research available to us.

When Post Offices were first established in West Elgin, and particularly at Port Talbot, mail was either brought overland or by boat from Niagara.

In 1832 Collins Handy took the contract to carry the mail on horseback from Kettle Creek (St.

Thomas) to Amherstburg and Fort Malden. This was a weekly trip through dense forest west of Clearville.

There is no record of anyone else carrying the mail after Mr. Handy but it is known that stage coaches from St. Thomas through Middlemarch, lona, Wallacetown and Aldborough carried it. From these drop off points it was carried on horseback inland to settlers.

With the coming of the Great Western Railroad in 1854 through Newbury and Glencoe, mail was brought overland to Aldborough. Later with the coming of the Canada Southern Railway in 1872, the pattern of mail delivery changed again. Finally in 1913, rural mail delivery began in general in this area and continues to this day.

BOOK REPORT – “THE PLAINS” by Jean I. Griffin

The First Yarmouth Regular Baptist Church known as The Plains has published a very complete and well-indexed book of their history.

It contains 98 pages beginning in 1830, with List of Charter Members, Minutes of meetings, reference to other Baptist churches in the district, Baptisms 1830 to present, List of Deacons 1832—1981, List of Clerks 1833 to present, 1899 Membership List, Choir Leaders 1894 on, Sunday School Superintendents 1891—1980, “1842” Sunday School Membership, The Old

Plains Cemetery list with first burial May 1818, The Seminary Cemetery records – earliest burial 1820. “The Plains” also includes “List of Burials from the minutes of four local graveyards”.

This book “The Plains” is available from – Mrs. Harvey Barrett, R. R. #5, St. Thomas, Ontario

NSP 3S9 (phone (519) 631-4058) for $6.00. “The Plains” is well written with tender loving care.