Yarmouth Churches

Elgin County
Places of Worship
Records Inventory
Yarmouth Township 

Elgin County Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society

Published 2006

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Methodist (became United Church of Canada in 1925)

Name of Church:      Orwell

 Location:     Lot 28, Concession 9 (or lot 73, North Talbot Road)  Orwell Methodist United Church           

Date of Formation:    1840’s

Date of Closing:         1958 or 1959

Affiliations:               

Aylmer Circuit (1857)

Sparta Circuit (1870 – 1906)

Orwell, Kingsmill, Crossley-Hunter (1906 – 1909)

Yarmouth Circuit (1909 – 1929)

St. Paul’s United Church, Aylmer (amalgamated 1929)

Records:                    

See listings for above affiliated churches

The United Church Archives lists the following records for the Orwell Circuit, including Kingsmill & Crossley-Hunter:

Minutes of the Official Board (1907-1915)

History:

In Aylmer – A Walk Through Time, author Sue McConnell states that the Methodists in Aylmer held some of their early meetings at the Orwell school house in the 1840’s.  A frame church was built and dedicated in 1857, but it is not known if there was a prior building. It was also used as a Union Church for a time. A deed in Yarmouth township, dated Nov. 11, 1857 between Jemima Teeple, widow of W. B. Teeple, and the Trustees of the Orwell Congregation of the Methodist church, for ½ acre, part of lot 28, concession 9 (or lot 73, North Talbot Road)

In 1870 the church became part of the Sparta Circuit and in 1906 formed a circuit with Kingsmill and Crossley-Hunter.  For five years the ministers lived at Orwell.  From 1909 until 1929, Orwell was part of the Yarmouth Circuit.

In 1929 the congregation amalgamated with St. Paul’s United Church, Aylmer, but services continued to be held in Orwell once a month, but were eventually discontinued due to decreased attendance.  Later, student ministers held services in Orwell, the last being held in 1958 or 1959. 

The church was sold to Gus Balbach to be used as a community centre.  The building was torn down in February 1991.

Ministers:                

Rev. Saunders

Rev. J. Phelps

Rev. Ward

Rev. Russell

Rev. W. Penhall

Rev. G. Jackson

Rev. T. R. McNair

Rev. W. Copeland

Rev. W. H. Graham

Rev. S. R. McVittie

Rev. R. J. McCormick

Rev. Bert Robinson

Rev. William Conway

Rev. C. R. Gundy

Rev. E. Matthews

Rev. W. Quick

Rev. A. M. Stewart

Rev. T. Snowden

Rev. J. W. Pring

Rev. L. Bartlett

Rev. H Godfrey

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Baptist

Name of Church:      New Sarum Baptist Church (2nd Yarmouth Regular Baptist Church)

Location:                   

Lot 21, Concession 9 (46195 New Sarum Line)  New Sarum Baptist Church

Mailing address: Box 22110, 204 First Ave., St. Thomas, ON N5R 6A1

(519) 765-1108; e-mail: newsarumbaptist@gmail.com

Date of Formation:    1838

Date of Closing:         active

Affiliations:                Salty Creek Baptist (ca 1864 – ca 1876)

Jaffa Baptist (Malahide) (ca 1893-1950)

Sparta Baptist Church (1998 – present)

Records:

The Canadian Baptist Archives in Hamilton lists the following records in their collection:

Minute Books (1838 – 1862); 1863 – 1899); (1900 – 1924) (includes membership list)

Minute Books (1838-1899) are also found on LDS Microfilm number 886756 [available at St. Thomas LDS Family History Centre]

Records held at the Church: Marriage Register (1976 –         )

Marriage Registers (1858 – 1975)Elgin OGS has published a four-volume index to these registers.  Located at St. Thomas Public Library                                                                                            

– a history of the church prepared in 1988 includes many excerpts from the minute books (Elgin OGS has a copy)

History:                      

The Baptist congregation at New Sarum was organized on January 9, 1838 with Hosea Baker and Peter Caughell acting as deacons, and Mark W. Hopkins as clerk.  Services were held for nine years in the old Union School which was located about one mile west of Orwell on the north side of Talbot Road.  Hosea Baker and Thomas Mills were the first pastors.  On September 10, 1847, three-eighths of an acre was purchased from

 O’Neal Cloes, being the northwest angle of his farm at the intersection of what is now Belmont Road and Talbot Line (Highway 3).  The trustees at this time were Hosea Baker, Stephen Wilcox and Daniel F. Yorke.  A church was built on this property, and the first service was held in it on March 20, 1850.  In 1879, the church, which originally faced west to the Belmont Road, was raised and turned around to face north.  The old white brick facing was replaced with red brick. The renovated building was dedicated on October 26, 1879.  This is still the building is use today.  In 1864 Hosea Baker deeded one acre to the church for a cemetery, where burials already dated back to 1844.  Baker’s farm was just west of New Sarum on the south side of the Talbot Road, and is known as Nineteenth Mile Creek cemetery. In 1889, it was decided to change the name of the church from 2nd Yarmouth, to New Sarum Baptist Church.  In 1906 the building underwent extensive renovations, including a basement, front entrance, and extension on the back to accommodate a Baptistry.

Further history:        

-article in Aylmer Express, June 30, 1939 on 100th anniversary

 – New Sarum Baptist Church History, 1838-1988 (Elgin OGS has a copy)

Ministers:                  

Pastor Mills (ten years)

Samuel Baker, 1840’s

Abraham Smith, 1851-1865

Elder Clutton, 1865

Elder Gosleton, 1866-1869

Elder Richmond, 1869-

Brother Thompkins, 1876-

Elder Rowland, 1880

Rev. H. Richmond, (to 1883)

Elder Gostelon, 1884

Edler Dann, 1885

Rev. J. H. Sowerby, 1889-1891

Rev. John Gray, 1891-1898

Rev. William Spencer, 1898-1903

Rev. Wray, 1904-1906

Rev. Buckberrough, 1907-1916

Rev. Walker, 1916-1920

Rev. L. D. Huxtable, 1920-1926

Rev. E. J. McEwen, 1925-1932

Rev. Walter James, 1932-1940

Rev. Roy Taylor, 1941-1944

Rev. P. Phinney, 1944-1946

Rev. Joseph Janes, 1946-1951

Victor Hohn, 1952

Rev. E. J. Whan, 1952-1956

Mr. Klassen, 1956-1957

Rev. Charles Saunders, 1957-1966

Rev. Hugh Stewart, 1966

Rev. O. E. Broughton, 1967-1971

Rev. Elmore Young, 1972-1976

Rev. Dr. Fred Ward, 1977-1980

Rev. J. K. Lewis, 1981

Mr. David Draffin, 1981-1982

Rev. J. K. Lewis, 1982-1983

Rev. Fred Knutson, 1983-1990

Calvin Kennedy, 1990-1992

Rev. Pat Ferrer, 1993-1997

Rev. James Taylor, 1997

Dr. James Davey, 1997-1998

Rev. Bryant Smith, 1998

Rev. Phil Butler, 1998-

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Free-Will Baptist

Name of Church:      Dexter

Location:                    Lot 14, Concession 1 (44804 Dexter Line)

Date of Formation:    ca 1865

Date of Closing:         ca 1890 (now Dexter United Church)

Records:

The Canadian Baptist Church Archives in Hamilton lists the following records in their holdings:

Subscription List (1864)

History:
This congregation was a Free Will Baptist church.  On Nov. 12, 1864, property in lot 14, concession 1 was acquired from William Parker. Another deed is found for 1/10 acre in lot 14, concession 2, dated May 17, 1864 from George Fisher to the Trustees of the Free Baptist Church.

About 1865, Stephen Griffin and William Taylor of Sparta were active in preaching a Free Will Baptist doctrine in South Yarmouth.  When a church was formed in Dexter, Lyman Lewis donated half the funds for the Community church and it was built in 1865 on land donated by Benjamin Fisher.  The framework of this early church has been improved into the present church on the same location. Baptists held services here for about 25 years. Then an unorganized congregation of Presbyterians and Anglicans held services until 1891 or 1892.  About 1875, the Methodists established a church on lot 11, concession 1, on land donated by William Armstrong, and called it Providence Church (see separate listing). In 1892, Providence church was sold, and the deed of the Dexter church was secured, joining Presbyterians, Baptists, Anglicans and Methodists together to form Dexter Methodist Church, part of the Port Stanley circuit.  In 1921 the church was modernized by raising the building, making a full-size basement and bricking the exterior of the church.

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Methodist (became United Church of Canada in 1925)

Name of Church:      Dexter United Church

Location:                    Lot 14, Concession 2 (44804 Dexter Line)  Dexter United Church

Date of Formation:    1865

Date of Closing:         active

Affiliations:                Sparta (1917); Dexter-Port Stanley Charge (? – present)

Records:  

Methodist Baptisms, Dexter Methodist Church (1917 – 1926)

Original format, at Union United Church

History:

A deed dated March 22, 1892 exists for 1/10 acre, part of the south part of lot 14, concession 2, from Charles Newland & Frank Barrett to the Trustees of Dexter Methodist Church – Ralph Vansickle, William Smith, Joseph Cook, William Binns, Elihu Nickerson & Henry Burgess           

  – see also history of Dexter Free-Will Baptist church (same building)

In 1967 the pews were removed and a new floor was laid and the entire church upstair was carpeted. In 1977 one side of the church wall was torn down and replaced with new bricks.

Ministers:                  

G. Harris, 1875

James Whiting, 1878

James Gray, 1881

J. Ford, 1883

W. Freeman, 1886

C. Parsons, 1888

D. Hamilton, 1891

W. Reid (assistant)

B. Aylesworth, 1894

H. Going, 1897

G. Fallis, 1900

W. Holmes, 1902

G. Powell, 1903

E. Lloyd, 1906

W. McTavish, 1910

J Durant, 1914

N. Gould, 1917

W. Brown, 1921

James Husser, 1922

Wallace Moss, 1925

A. Malcolm, 1926

D. Boa, 1929

M. Haith, 1936

S. Hammond, 1939

J. McKaye, 1947

A. Malcolm, 1950

Morley Clark, 1952

Wesley Smith, 1956

D. Boa, 1960

P. Smetheram, 1962-1967

Stanley L. Shippey, 1967-1968

Edgar Gill, 1968-1972

H. Stewart, 1972-1981

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Baptist 

Name of Church:      Salty Creek

Location:                    Lot 8, Concession 12

Date of Formation:    ca 1864

Date of Closing:         ca 1876

Affiliations:                New Sarum Baptist

Records:                     see listing for New Sarum Baptist

 History

According to the minutes of New Sarum Baptist church, meetings were held at Salty Creek prior to 1864, where a church had been built.  In 1864, the Deacons at New Sarum voted that the members of Salty Creek be constituted as a branch of their church, and were known as the “North Branch”.  In 1868, the congregation at Salty Creek made an application to New Sarum to be organized as their own church, although a pastor was still shared between the two.

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Baptist

Name of Church:      Port Stanley

Location:                    in village of Port Stanley; no known edifice

Date of Formation:    1800’s

Date of Closing:         short duration

Records:                     no known records

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Baptist

Name of Church:      Sparta Baptist

Location:                    Lot 21, Concession 4, Village of Sparta (46170 Sparta Line)    Sparta Baptist Church

Date of Formation:    1869

Date of Closing:         active

Affiliations:

First Yarmouth Baptist Church (Plains) (1869 – 1989)

New Sarum Baptist (1998 – present)

Records:                    

The Canadian Baptist Archives  lists the following records:

Minute Books (1869 – 1903); (1903 – 1963) (includes membership list 1873-1903)

Marriage Register (1897 – 1943; 1943-1970; 1972-1973)

Church Treasurer’s records (1925-1943)

Minute Book (1869-1903) are also found on LDS Microfilm number 886756 [on indefinite loan at St. Thomas LDS]

See also listing for First Yarmouth Baptist Church (Plains)

History:

This congregation may have been part of the Convention Baptist at one time.  The first Baptist service was held in the home of Andrew Montross. Settlers of the Sparta and Union districts worshipped at the First Baptist Church at Plains (Union) from 1850.  A deed exists dated June 15, 1883 for 1/4 acre in the north part of lot 21, concession 3 between John Callard and the Trustees of Sparta Regular Baptist church – Thomas Dangerfield, A. L. Sanderson, Peter McDiarmid, John Laidlaw, George Dangerfield & Hugh H. McDiarmid.  It would appear that the church was built several years prior to the date of this deed, as Sims History of Elgin County states that a frame edifice was erected in Sparta and opened on October 31, 1869.  In 1894 the church basement was constructed and in 1873 the building was veneered with brick.

Ministers:                  

see affiliated congregations (Plains, New Sarum)

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Baptist

Name of Church:      First Yarmouth Baptist (Plains Baptist)

Location

Lot 8, Concession 5 (6071 Fairview Road – at Sparta Line)  Yarmouth Plains Baptist Church new

RR #4 St. Thomas, ON N5P 3S8; e-mail: fybc@execulink.com

Date of Formation:    before 1830

Date of Closing:         active

Affiliations:

First Southwold Baptist (or Iona) (1830 – 1833)

Sparta Convention Baptist (1869 – 1989)

 Records:    

The Canadian Baptist Archives in Hamilton lists the following records in their holdings:               

Minute Books (1832 – 1839); (1855 – 1923) (includes membership lists)

Membership Lists (1831 – 1889)

Found on LDS Microfilm number 886755 are the following: [located at St. Thomas Family History Centre]

Letters of Transfer of Memberships (1824-1933)

Miscellaneous correspondence (1833-1903)

Treasurer’s Records (1836-1866)

Subscription Lists (1845-1856)

Found on LDS Microfilm number 0804329 are the following: [located at St. Thomas LDS Family History Centre]

Minutes (1832-1923)

Membership & Subscription Lists (1842)

Published in a church history called “The First Yarmouth Regular Baptist Church – The Plains”, by Jean I. Griffin (1981) are the following records [Elgin OGS has a copy]:

Baptisms (1830-1980)

Letters of Transfer (1824-1980)

Membership List (1899) and (1981)

List of Burials (1830’s – from minutes and gravestone inscriptions)

See also listing for First Southwold Baptist (Iona)

History:                      

This Regular Baptist congregation was first located on lot 7, concession 3 as early as 1833.  Two land transactions were found for this property, the earliest dated Jan. 6, 1844 between William Vanhorn and the Trustees; another dated Feb. 7, 1846 between Jesse Zavitz to the Trustees, for ½ acre. The congregation later moved their location to lot 8, concession 5. 

Another deed exists, dated July 18, 1848 for 1 acre in the southeast part of lot 7, concession 4 between John McKenzie and the Trustees of the 1st Regular Baptist church in Yarmouth.

The first Baptist meetings were held in the home of Anderson Montross, on lot 6, concession 5, who settled in Yarmouth in 1816.  The congregation later met in a little log school where the church is now located.  In 1830, the church became a branch of Iona (First Southwold Baptist church), and became a separate church in 1833.  In 1835, the congregation was meeting in a school on lot 8, concession 5.  By 1838, a church had been erected, known as the Baptist Meeting House on lot 8, concession 5.  In 1870, the building was enlarged.  In 1912 it was raised and a basement put under it, and other extensive renovations were made.  In 1981 a new church was built to celebrate the congregations 150th anniversary.

Plains Baptist Church 1978

 

 

Further history:        

“The First Yarmouth Regular Baptist Church – The Plains”, by Jean I. Griffin, 1981 (Elgin OGS has a copy)

Ministers:                  

Elder Baker, 1833

Jesse Crandall, 1835

Thomas Mills, 1838-1849

Elder Baker & Thomas Mills, 1850-1856

McConnell, 1856

Elder Mills, 1857-1858

William Gonne, 1858-1860

W. Rowland, 1860

Isaac J. Rice, 1861-1863

John Treneman, 1864-1866

Rev. A. McDonald, 1869-1873

Rev. J. Lince, 1874

Elder Story, 1875-1877

Brother McLauren, 1877

Rev. Douglas Laing, 1879-1882

Brother D. B. Davidson, 1883-1886

Richard Marshall, 1887-1889

H. Sowerby, 1890-1891

John Gray, 1891-1893

B. Davis, 1894-1896

Rev. J. J. Baker, 1896-1901

Rev. Kirkpatrick, 1901-1902

Rev. W. P. Reekie, 1903-1909

Rev. W. Westel, 1913-1917

Rev. John Marshall, 1917-1919

Rev. W. H. Bower, 1920-1924

Rev. Waddell, 1925-1930

Rev. Medley, 1931-1936

Rev. J. Maitland Jones, 1936-1938

Rev. G. Sherman, 1939-1959

Rev. Seymore Boyce, 1959-1963

Rev. Anthony Penner, 1964-1967

Mr. Brian Sherry, 1968-1969

Rev. John Dickinson, 1969-1973

Rev. Gordon Hill, 1974-1976

Rev. James Lewis, 1976-1979

Rev. Malcolm Rust, 1979-

 

Township:                  Port Stanley (Southwold side of village)
Denomination:           Presbyterian

Name of Church:      St. John’s Presbyterian, Port Stanley

Location:                    238 Colborne Street,  Port Stanley, ON N5L 1B9  Port Stanley St. Johns Church

Date of Formation:    1854

Date of Closing:         active

Affiliations:                Knox Presbyterian Fingal (1936-   )

Records:

Baptisms (1910 – present)

Marriages (1855 – present)

The above records are in original format and are accessible at the church.

Elgin County Archives also has on microfilm number 1435 and 1460, church records from 1855 to 1988.  Access is restricted to these records.  Contact the Elgin County Archives for further information.

History:

Services were first held in the Union School house, west on Francis Street.  The congregation was organized in 1854, and on March 12,  1855, lot 32 on North Colborne Street was purchased from Bryce Thomson, and tenders were called for a 50′ X 37′ brick church, but the church was never built.  The first pastor, Rev. William Doak, came in 1855 but resigned in 1857 because of his health, and the Port Stanley congregation was placed under the “Home Missions” of the Presbytery of London.  The congregation rented the Congregationalist Church, a frame church built in 1852 on the west side of Colborne Street near Hetty Street, which they eventually purchased in 1871, selling the lot they had hoped to build a church on earlier. This is the church still in use today.  Before the union in 1875 of various Presbyterian denominations in Canada, the Port Stanley congregation was part of the Free Church of Scotland.  The Port Stanley church was named St. John’s in 1898.

Further history:  

History of St. John’s Presbyterian Church, Port Stanley, on the occasion of its 100th anniversary in 1954 (Elgin OGS has a copy)

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Presbyterian

Name of Church:      Kilmartin

Location:                   

Lot 15, Concession 11; north of Yarmouth Centre

Date of Formation:    1838

Date of Closing:         1905 (moved to St. James)

Affiliations

Knox Presbyterian Church, St. Thomas (1838 – 1856)

South Dorchester Circuit (Belmont) (1856)

Records:

Communion Roll (1862 – 1889)

Marriage Register (1896 – 1915); (1915 – 1923)

The above records are combined with Knox Presbyterian Church, Belmont, and are housed at the church in Belmont (Knox Church in Belmont has since closed)

St. James – Kilmartin Session Records (1889 – 1962); located at Belmont church

Baptisms (1889-1914) are found on LDS microfilm number 0161573 [at St. Thomas LDS Family History Centre]

 History:                       

A deed dated Nov. 12, 1846 exists between Hugh Douglas and the Trustees of the Presbyterian congregation of Kilmartin, for part of lot 13, concession 11. On March 27, 1877 lease was made between Hugh Douglas and the Trustees for part of the east half of the north half lot lot 12, concession 10.    In 1838 Alexander Douglas donated ½ acre in the southeast corner of lot 12, concession 11 which became the site of Kilmartin Cemetery.  In 1838, a log church was built in the cemetery which served for 20 years.  In 1858, a frame church was built across the road to the east on lot 13, property owned by Hugh Douglas.  After about 20 years, this church was moved across the road into the cemetery property and stood there until 1905.  The church was removed from the property in 1906 when St. James Presbyterian church was built on the corner one mile north. 

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Presbyterian

Name of Church:      St. James Presbyterian Church

Location:  

Lot 12, Concession 12 (44936 Ferguson Line at Yarmouth Centre Road)  Yarmouth St. James Presbyerian Church

Date of Formation:    1837 – 1838 (as Kilmartin Church)  

Date of Closing:         active

Affiliations:  

Knox Church, St. Thomas (1838-1856)

Knox Church, Belmont (1856-present)

Records

Birth and Baptismal Register (1850 – 1889)

St. James – Kilmartin Session Records (1889 – 1962)

St. James – Kilmartin Communion Roll & Register (1919 – 1970)

St. James – Kilmartin Communion Roll & Register (1974 – 1978)

The above records are located at Knox Presbyterian Church, Belmont (Knox Belmont has since closed)

The Presbyterian church archives lists the following records, on microfilm:

Baptisms, 1889-1984

Session Minutes, 1889-1993

Communion Roll, 1893-1978

 History:

St. James Church was built in 1906 to replace Kilmartin church.  The congregation celebrated its 144th anniversary on June 20, 1982.  See Kilmartin church (above) for earlier history of this congregation.

Ministers:  

see affiliated congregations of St. Thomas (St. Thomas volume) and Belmont (South Dorchester & Springfield volume)

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Anglican

Name of Church:      Barnum’s Corners

Location:                    Lot 21, Concession 1

Date of Formation:    1883

Date of Closing:         short duration

Records:                     no  known records

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Methodist

Name of Church:      Barnum’s Corners

Location:                    Lot 22, Concession 2

Date of Formation:    ca 1883

Date of Closing:         open a short duration

Records:                     no known records

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Anglican

Name of Church:      Christ Church

Location of Church: Colborne St., Port Stanley (at Matilda Street)  Port Stanley Christ Anglican Church

Date of Formation:    1812 or 1834 Cong.

Date of Closing:         active

Affiliations:               

St. Thomas Anglican (1834-1848)

St. Peter’s Tyrconnell (1860)

Fingal (1862)

St. John’s in St. Thomas (1879-ca 1889)

St. Luke’s Yarmouth Heights (1936-ca 1947)

St. Stephen’s (1967-1974)

St. Stephen’s, Dutton, St. Peter’s, West Lorne (1974-1979)

Records:                    

Parish Register (1854 – 1974)

Communicant & Service Register (1890 – 1897)

Vestry Record (1846 – 1858); (1907 – 1944)

The above records are located at the church.

Transcripts of parish records are included in two publications:

Church in the Valley, by Rev. H. Rokeby-Thomas, 1950

Church at the Bend of the River, by Elgin OGS, 1995

The following records are found microfilm number 200 at the Elgin County Archives:

Baptisms (1846-1853; 1858-1870)

Marriages (1846; 1849-1853; 1856-1864)

Funerals (1848)

Burials (1856-1857; 1859; 1865; 1872)

General Book (Baptisms & Burials 1854-1855)

History:                      

A deed exists dated July 25, 1845 for 4/5 acre, being lot 25, East Colborne Street, between John Bostwick and the Bishop of Toronto & Successors.

Services were first held in Port Stanley as early as 1812, but the organization of the congregation did not take place until 1834.  Services here held in the old frame schoolhouse.  A church was completed in 1845 on land donated by John Bostwick.  The original building, with a spire 90 feet high, still stands today. In 1921, extensive renovations were made to the church, including being raised and a basement put in, and an addition of seven feet to the chancel.  Mason and Berry windows were also put in the church. In 1948 and 1949 considerable work was carried on by extending the churchyard with the intention of increasing the burial space. In 1960, a historical plaque commemorating Lt.-Col. John Bostwick, the founder of Port Stanley, was unveiled on the grounds of Christ Church.  The 150th anniversary of the church was celebrated in 1995.

Further history:        

Church in the Valley – by Rev. Rokeby-Thomas, 1950 (includes transcript of parish registers) (Elgin OGS has a copy)

Church at the Bend of the River, published by Elgin OGS, 1995 (includes transcript of parish registers).

– article in Huron Church News (Elgin OGS has a copy)

Ministers:                

Rev. Charles James Stewart, 1820

Rev. Alex. McIntosh, 1820-1829

Rev. Edward J. Boswell, 1829

Rev. Mark Burnham, 1829-1834

Rev. J. I. McKenzie, 1834-1837

Rev. Mark Burnham, 1837-1848

Rev. George C. Street, 1848-1854

Rev. T. J. M.W. Blackman, 1855

Rev. J. A. Preston, 1855

Rev. James Mockridge, 1856-1863

Rev. Thomas Watson, 1864

Rev. J. Schulte, 1865-1868

Rev. A. St.George Caulfield, 1868-1870

Rev. William Clotworthy, 1870

Rev. W. B. Rally, 1871-1873

Rev. R. V. Rodgers, 1873

Rev. Peyton Gallagher, 1874-1876

Rev. Adrian Zimmerman, 1876

Rev. T. C. Desbarres, 1876

Rev. H. Haywood, 1877

Rev. M. M. Dillon, 1878-1881

Rev. J. L. Strong, 1881-1884

Rev. H. Banwell, 1885-1888

Rev. J. Schulte, 1888-1894

Rev. William Hinde, 1894-1897

Rev. H. D. Steel, 1897-1904

Rev. J. P. Hincks, 1904

Rev. Canon John Downie, 1909-1915

Rev. Mark Turnbull, 1915-1921

Rev. John R. Bythell, 1921-1936

Rev. J. E. Merrick, 1936-1938

Rev. R.M.P. Bulteel, 1938-1944

Rev. A. E. Taverner, 1944-1947

Rev. Howard R. Rokeby-Thomas, 1948-1960

Rev. William K. Morrison, 1961-1966

Rev. Harold A. Kay, 1966-1968

Rev. Edward Cecil Ward, 1968-1973

Rev. Brian Holt, 1974-1976

Rev. Gordon J. J. Simmons, 1977-1979

Rev. James M. Donaldson, 1979-1984

Rev. G. W. “Nick” Wells, 1984-1988

Rev. Tony Falkner, 1988-1991

Rev. John William Marsh, 1991-1995

Rev. Patt Nunn, 1995-

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Methodist

Name of Church:      Providence

Location:                    Lot 11, Concession 2

Date of Formation:    ca 1875

Date of Closing:         ca 1892 (later moved to Lot 14, Concession 2)

Affiliations:                Port Stanley Circuit

Lake Road

Union

Sparta

Port Stanley

Records:

Membership Lists (ca 1875 – ca 1892); original format, located at Port Stanley United Church

History:

A deed dated June 3, 1869 exists between Thomas Weldon & Susannah Armstrong to the Trustees of Providence Congregation of the Wesleyan Methodist church, for part of the south half of lot 11, concession 2.

This congregation began when Methodists in the Dexter area wished to have a church of their own.  The church was built in 1875, and was connected with the Port Stanley circuit. In 1892, a request was made by the Presbyterians at Dexter to have the Providence minister conduct services for them.  The deed to the Dexter church was secured, and the Providence church was sold to Thomas Glidden, and the lot reverted back to the Armstrong farm.  The congregation of the Providence church went to Dexter as a unit.

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Methodist (became United Church of Canada in 1925)

Name of Church:      Port Stanley (Methodist) United Church

Location:                   

239 Colborne Street, Port Stanley, ON N5L 1B9  Port Stanley United Church

Church office phone: (519) 782-4288

Date of Formation:    1842

Date of Closing:         active

Affiliations:                St. Thomas circuit – (including Fingal, Yarmouth, Malahide, Southwold, Port Stanley)

Port Stanley circuit (ca 1854 – 1855) – (including Port Stanley, West Talbot Road, Union, Sparta, Providence)

Port Stanley & Dexter (1925-present) [Fingal added in 1964]

Records:                    

Port Stanley Circuit Membership Roll (1858 – 1896)

Baptisms (1912 – 1954)

Marriages (1913 – 1961)

Death Register (1912 – 1954)

The above records are located at the church

The United Church Archives in Toronto lists the following records in their holdings:

Marriages (1896-1913)

Elgin County Archives has the following records on microfilm number 1452:

Port Stanely & Dexter Church records (ca 1858-1974)

History:                      

A deed exists dated May 10, 1854 between Murray Anderson and the Trustees of the Port Stanley congregation of the Wesleyan Methodist church, for 2/5 acre, being lots 10 & 11, E. Bostwick Street.  Another deed, dated Jan. 28, 1868 exists between Andrew Lemon & Charlotte Laura Lemon to the Trustees of the Methodist church – Thomas Edgecombe, James Latimer, Benjamin Wintermute, Mordecai Willson, James Hebblethwaite, George Ferguson & Levi Walker – for lots 8 & 9, Colborne Street.

Prior to 1842, services had been held in the school house every other Sunday, but in 1842 a frame church was built on the east bank of Kettle Creek.  This building was later moved to lot 8, Colborne St.  In 1888 it was decided to build a new church, and the cornerstone was laid on May 24, 1889, and the building dedicated on Aug. 18 and 25, 1889.  In 1890 a parsonage was built on the north side of the church. In 1962 a Christian Education Building was added.

Ministers:                  

 Rev. Vandusen & Williston, 1836

Rev. H. W. McTavish, 1910

Rev. Fawcett & Goodrich, 1837

Rev. J. J. Durrant, 1914

Rev. Jas. Norris & David Hardy, 1838

Rev. G. C. Gifford, 1917

Rev. Pollard  

Rev. J. N. Gould, 1921

Rev. Bredin

Rev. C. A. Malcolm, 1926

Rev. Whiting 

Rev. A. D. Boa, 1929

Rev. Francis Chapman, 1854 

Rev. J. M. Haith, 1936

Rev. George Cochran, 1856

Rev. G. S. Hammond, 1939

Rev. Alexander Campbell, 1859 

Rev. A. J. McKaye, 1947

Rev. William Walker, 1861

Rev. C. A. Malcolm, 1950

Rev. Phineas D. Will, 1862 

Rev. Morley G. Clarke, 1952

Rev. James F. Latimer, 1865 

Rev. Wesley C. Smith, 1956

Rev. Wm. Lund & Thomas Campbell, 1869

Rev. A. D. Boa, 1960

Rev. Peter German & George W. Calvert, 1872

Rev. W. P. Smetheram, 1962

Rev. Peter German & Jasper Wilson, 1874

Rev. A. G. Harris, 1875

Rev. James Gray, 1881

Rev. W. J. Ford, 1883

Rev. H. W. Freeman, 1886

Rev. R. C. Parsons, 1888

Rev. R. D. Hamilton, 1891

Rev. J. B. Aylesworth, 1894

Rev. A. H. Going, 1897

Rev. J. G. Fallis, 1900

Rev. J. W. Holmes, 1902

Rev. E. G. Powell, 1903

Rev. A. E. Lloyd, 1906

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Methodist (became United Church of Canada in 1925)

Name of Church:      Yarmouth Centre United Church

Location:  

Lot 15, Concession 9  Yarmouth Centre United Church

Lot 14, Concession 9 (present site) (9463 Yarmouth Centre Rd. at Talbot)

Date of Formation:    ca 1836

Date of Closing:         active

Affiliations:               

St. Thomas circuit (1836) – (including Sparta, Port Stanley, Union, Townline)

Yarmouth Circuit (1871) – (including Townline, Salt Creek)

Sparta Circuit (1875) – (including Orwell, Salt Creek, Port Bruce)

Orwell (1909)

Crossley-Hunter (1931)

Talbotville & Townline (1944)

Homedale (1954)

Talbotville & Townline (1958- present) (Suburban Pastoral Charge)

Records:                    

Marriages (Oct. 13, 1909 – Aug. 1939), located at Talbotville United Church

Marriages (1969- ) located at Talbotville United Church

Marriages – Yarmouth Circuit (1914 – 1945), located at Talbotville United Church

Burials (1960 – ) located at Talbotville United Church

Baptisms (1940 – ; includes Townline) located at Talbotville United

Elgin County Archives has on microfilm numbers 1453, 1454 and 1455, records of Yarmouth Centre Church from 1938-1961.  Access to these records is restricted.  Contact the Elgin County Archives for further information.

 History

A deed exists dated May 29, 1883 between John Kilpatrick and George Newcombe to the use of the Trustees of the Yarmouth Center congregation of the Methodist church, for part of lot 15, concession 9.     The first record of this church is in 1836, but it is not known if that was the beginning of the congregation.  In 1871, it was part of the Yarmouth circuit, and the church at this time was a frame building situated a few rods north of the Talbot Road (No. 3 Highway), on the road that leads to the Yarmouth Railway crossing. In 1883, the congregation decided to move the building to the corner of the Talbot Road, and covered with church with white brick, added stained glass windows and built a choir gallery at the front. In 1923, the church was moved to its present location, which had been the site of a large frame motel which was purchased and demolished.  The cornerstone was laid on June 17, 1923, and the old church was moved and placed on the basement made from the white brick which had been taken off.  It was re-bricked with red brick.  

Ministers:                  

[before 1871]

Messrs. Ames, Clarke, Warner & Starr

Rev. Thomas Hadwin, 1871

Rev. George Hadden, 1873

Rev. J. H. Stonehouse, 1875

Rev. James Charlton, 1877

Rev. John Saunders, 1880

Rev. Joseph Philip, 1883

Rev. Joseph Ward, 1885

Rev. George Jackson, 1888

Rev. John Russell, 1889

Rev. William Penhall, 1890

Rev. T. R. McNairn, 1893

Rev. Thomas B. Copeland, 1896

Rev. W. H. Graham, 1899

Rev. S. R. McVitty, 1903

Rev. J. W. Robinson, 1907

Rev. R. J. McCormick, 1909

Rev. Wm. Conway, 1912

Rev. Thomas J. Snowden, 1914

Rev. Joseph W. Pring, 1916

Rev. Leonard Bartlett, 1921

Rev. Henry Godfrey, 1924

Rev. W. A. Findlay, 1929

Rev. David Armstrong, 1931

Rev. Anson C. Moorehouse, 1935

Rev. C. W. Morrow, 1939

Rev. M. G. Newton, 1944

Rev. Angus R. Taylor, 1945

Rev. Scott Milley, 1951

Mr. R. C. Winlaw, 1953

Rev. H. Evan McLagah, 1955

Rev. George Shields, 1959-1969

Barry Thomas, 1969-1974

Wm. Smetheran, 1974-1975

Russell Cook

Willi Kammerer, 1975-1978

Isgani Lazaro, 1978-1982

Joe Campbell, 1982-1985

Roger Landell, 1985-2000

Rob Pierce, 2001

Stephen Iverson, 2001-2003

Donald Macpherson, 2004-

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Methodist (became United Church of Canada in 1925)

Name of Church:      Townline United Church

Location:                   

Lot 1, Concession 12 (J. McAlpine property), also known as Coughlin’s Corners (42014 Ferguson Line – at corner of Wellington Road)  Yarmouth Townline United Church

Date of Formation:    1840’s

Date of Closing:         active

Affiliations:                Salt Creek (ca 1850)

Musgrave Circuit (ca 1851 – 1854)

St. Thomas Circuit:     First Methodist (pre 1858 – 1871)

Talbotville (pre 1858)

Yarmouth Circuit: (1871-1875)

Talbotville Circuit (1875-1945) (included Salem & Delaware)

Talbotville & Yarmouth Centre (1945 – present) (Suburban Charge)

Records

Marriages (1973- ) located at Talbotville United Church

Burials (1971- ) located at Talbotville United Church

Baptisms (1940 – ) located at Talbotville United Church

The United Church Archives in Toronto lists the following records in their holdings:

Trustee Board & Building Subscription Record Book (1859-1895)

History:          

The appointment to which this church had its origin is first mentioned in records of the Wesleyan Methodist Church under the name of Musgrove’s Branch in 1851. Methodists in this area had been meeting in homes in the 1840’s, and in the school in 1849.  In 1854 the name was changed to Townline, since it is situated on the townline between Yarmouth and Southwold townships, four miles north of St. Thomas on what is now known as Wellington Road. A deed exists dated July 28, 1859 between Francis Berry, and Richard Bainard, Hugh McIntyre, Neil McIntyre, Charles Potticary, and William Coulter, trustees of Townline Wesleyan Methodist church, for ½ acre, part of lot 1, concession 12.

A church was built on this lot and opened for services on June 26, 1859.  This structure was replaced by the present brick building which opened for service Aug. 16, 1895.  In 1945, Townline church was linked with Talbotville and Yarmouth Centre to form what is now known as Suburban Pastoral Charge.

 Ministers:                  

John Brodin, 1851    

Joseph Hugill

Edward Dewart

Richard Whiting, 1852

William Price, 1854

Noble P. English, 1857

Francis Berry, 1858                                                              

William McCullough, 1860

Samuel Philip

William Ames, 1863

William C. Clarke, 1865

Lewis Warner, 1867

Thomas Campbell

Joseph Hagar

Herbert Starr, 1869

John Smiley

Robert Hall

Thomas Hadwin, 1871

William Burke, 1875

Thomas Jackson, 1877

Edwin Holmes, 1880

Daniel W. Thompson, 1881

Joseph Ward, 1883

David Rogers, 1896

C. Sanderson, 1898

C. Couzens, 1901

Redmond, 1904

P. Sutcliffe, 1908

John Holmes, 1910

John Mahan, 1915

Kennedy, 1916

M. Colling, 1920

Melvin Keys, 1922

T. T. Couzens, 1927

C. Copeland, 1929

Samuel Bridgette, 1930

Sawyer, 1936

W. Hedlwy, 1938

Harry Royle, 1940-1946

(see Yarmouth Centre listing for later ministers)

 

Township:                  Yarmouth / Southwold
Denomination:           Methodist (Episcopal)

Name of Church:      White’s Station Church (or Mellor Church)

Location:    

Lot 4, Range 2, East River Road (near Yarmouth/Southwold Townline)

Date of Formation:    1867

Date of Closing:         1882

Affiliations:               

Sparta & Union (1867)

Paynes (1874)

Fingal (1874-1882)

Corseley (Shedden), (1877-1882)

Hunt’s & Frome (1881-1882)

River (1882)

Records:    no known records

History

About 1867 there was a tiny white frame church located about one mile west of White’s Station.  Adjacent to the church was a cemetery, known as Mellor’s cemetery, after the family who owned the land for many years. A deed dated June 2, 1871 exists between Mr. & Mrs. John Mellor to the Methodist Episcopal Trustees – John Henry Campbell, Gideon Howell, and Homer N. Basset – for the church property.  The lot was located on the southeast corner of the Mellor farm, and measured 6 rods by 7 rods, and eleven rods from the Southwold-Yarmouth townline. 

This church was a Methodist Episcopal congregation and was connected with the Yarmouth-Southwold circuits and after 1874 with Southwold alone.  Services were mostly conducted by local preachers, but an ordained minister was occasionally in charge. At the time of the Methodist church union in 1884, White’s Station church disappears from records.  It seems that after 1884 the church building was no longer used.  The church was dismantled soon after and now remains a vacant lot.

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Methodist (became United Church of Canada in 1925)

Name of Church:      Union (Methodist) United Church

Location:                   

Lot 4, Concession 3 (6008 Stone Church Road)  Union United Church

 Box 67, Union, ON N0L 2L0; church phone (519) 631-7849

Date of Formation:    ca 1820

Date of Closing:         active

Affiliations:               

St. Thomas Circuit (1836)

Port Stanley Circuit (1854) (included Union, Lakeshore, Sparta & Providence)

Dexter (to 1926)

Sparta (1926 -present) (called Sparta-Union Pastoral Charge)

Records:                    

Membership Roll – Port Stanley Circuit (1858 – 1896), located at Port Stanley United Church

Baptisms (1909 – present); original format

Marriages (1915 – present); original format

Burials (1915 – present); original format

The above registers are at the Union United Church

The United Church Archives lists the following records in their holdings:

Marriages (1952-1956)

Women’s Missionary Society Minutes (1886-1929)

Women’s Missionary Society Accounts (1904-1931)

History:                      

Deeds – (1) June 17, 1850 John & Burley Willis to Trustees of Wesleyan Methodist church, 1 ½ acre, northwest part of northeast 1/4 lot 4, con 3

(2) March 22, 1856 Sons of Temperance Div. No. 234, to Trustees of Wesleyan Methodist church, part of northeast corner of northwest quarter, lot 4, concession 3.

(3) Dec. 15, 1870 Robert Hepburn to Trustees of Wesleyan Methodist church, 1 acre, part of lot 4, concession 3.

(4) Sept. 8, 1876 Susan Hepburn to Trustees of Methodist church, ½ acre, part of lot 4, concession 3.

(5) April 11, 1898 John T. Young to Trustees of Union congregation of Methodist church, ½ acre, part of lot 4, concession 3.

The first meetings were held about 1820 at the home of David Burgess on lot 9, concession 2.  Later a school house, one mile north, was used.  In 1836, the St. Thomas Circuit was formed and services were held regularly at Union, with ministers from St. Thomas. On June 17, 1850, a 1 ½ acre parcel on the west side of plank road beyond the top of the hill was bought for church and burial purposes by the Trustees from John & Burley Willis.  The frame church was moved to this site and a porch added.  Part of the ground was sold by the Trustees for burial purposes.  On Sept. 8, 1876, a new site was purchased from Susan Hepburn.  A new brick church was built with a full basement, and was dedicated on Nov. 18, 1877.  The old frame church was sold for a dwelling, later converted into a garage and was eventually destroyed by fire.

During a heavy snowstorm, fire of unknown origin destroyed the church on Feb. 6, 1948.  On May 9, 1948, the sod was turned for a new church and the cornerstone laid on Aug. 18, 1948.  The new church was dedicated on Oct. 7, 1948.

Ministers:                  

[1836-1854]    Revs. Fawcett, Norris, Montgomery, Waldron, Chreighton, Snider, Phillip, Pollard, Bredin, Whiting, Francis Chapman, Cochran, Campbell, Walker, Will, Latimer, Sexsmith, Lund, German

Rev. A. G. Harris, 1875                     

Rev. H. W. McTavish, 1919

 Rev. James Whiting, 1878                 

Rev. J. J. Durrant, 1914

Rev. James Grey, 1881                      

Rev. G. C. Gifford,1917

Rev. W. J. Ford, 1883                        

Rev. J. N. Gould, 1921

Rev. J. W. Freeman, 1885                  

Rev. W. R. Hughes, 1926

 Rev. R. D. Hamilton, 1891                

Rev. R. B. Cumming, 1930

Rev. R. C. Parsons, 1893                   

Rev. N. J. Woods, 1935

Rev. T. B. Aylesworth, 1894             

Rev. J. V. Clarke, 1947

Rev. Arthur Going, 1897                   

Rev. E. J. Robertson, 1951

Rev. J. G. Fallis, 1900                        

Rev. S. A. Selby, 1955

Rev. J. W. Holmes, 1902                   

Rev. W. H. Carnes, 1960

Rev. Ezra Powell, 1903                     

Rev. D. S. Mannell, 1963

Rev. A. E. Lloyd, 1906                     

[see Sparta listing for later ministers]

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Methodist

Name of Church:      Salt Creek Methodist Church

Location:                   

Lot 9, Concession 10 [cemetery 911 address is 11134 Highbury Ave]

Date of Formation:    ca November 1846

Date of Closing:         early 1900’s

Affiliations:               

Townline in Yarmouth (1850)

Records:                    

no known records

History:                      

On Nov. 12, 1846 Hugh Douglas conveyed  to Thomas Penhale, John Penhale, Joseph Cole, John Fowler and George Axford, Trustees of the Chapel of Canadian Wesleyan Methodist New Connexion in Yarmouth, a  ½ acre lot, part of lot 9, concession 10, near the corner of concession 10 and Radio Road [now Highbury Ave], for the purpose of erecting a church and burying ground.  A frame church was erected, and the church was linked with the Yarmouth Centre charge. The cemetery became the resting place of members of well-known families of all denominations.   About 1905, the church, which had not been used for services for some years, was moved to Sparta to be used on the parsonage property.

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Methodist

Name of Church:      unknown

Location:                    at a school later called White’s School, southeast corner Lot 7, Con. 2

Date of Formation:    unknown

Date of Closing:         unknown

Records:                     unknown

History:                       unknown; possibly Methodist Episcopal

 

Denomination:           unknown
Name of Church:      unknown

Location:                    school house on lot 9, Concession 4

Date of Formation:    1830

Date of Closing:         unknown

Records:                     no known records 

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Methodist (became United Church of Canada in 1925)

 Name of Church:      Sparta United Church

Location:                   

Lot 21, Concession 3 (6073 Quaker Road)  Sparta United Church

Sparta-Union Pastoral Charge, Box 67, Union, ON N0L 2L0

Pastoral charge phone: (519) 631-7849

Date of Formation:    1830’s (St. Thomas Circuit began)

Date of Closing:         active

Affiliations:               

Westminster Mission

St. Thomas Circuit (Fingal, Port Stanley, Townline, Yarmouth) (1836)

Port Stanley Circuit (Union, Providence, Lake Road West) (ca 1854)

Yarmouth Circuit (1871)

Sparta Circuit (Yarmouth Centre, Salt Creek, Orwell, Port Bruce) (1875)

Kingsmill & Crossley-Hunter (1906)

Orwell, Yarmouth Centre & Dexter (1909- 1918)

Union & Sparta Circuit (1926)          

Records:                    

see listing for Port Stanley (Methodist) United Church

see listing for Union (Methodist) United Church

Marriage Records (1896 – 1912) United Church Archives, Toronto

History:                      

Services at Sparta were first held in homes, but a chapel of the Wesleyan Methodist Church was built in 1851. A deed exists dated March 10, 1851 between James Mills and the Trustees of Sparta congregation of the Wesleyan Methodist church for 1/4 acre in lot 21, concession 3.

In 1870 the Anglicans and Presbyterians were allowed to use the chapel on Sunday afternoons. The cornerstone for the present church was laid on April 28, 1886 and opening services were held on October 10. The old frame church  was used as a church shed, then a gristmill, and later part of a house. The remainder of the old church became a barn at the parsonage, and was later converted into a garage.  In 1948 during a severe electrical storm, the church steeple was damaged by lightning.  The upper part of the steeple was removed and the roof remodeled to extend over the walls at each end.    Sparta Church Museum and Cultural Center

Ministers

Rev. John Bredin, 1850’s

Rev. R. Whiting

Rev. William Lund

Rev. E. W. Walker

Rev. Harris

Rev. McDonough

Rev. George Cochran

Rev. Thomas Hadwin, 1871

Rev. George C. Madden, 1873

Rev. James H. Stonehouse, 1875

Rev. James Charlton, 1877

Rev. John Saunders, 1880

Rev. Joseph Philip, 1883

Rev. Joseph Ward, 1884

Rev. George Jackson, 1887

Rev. John Russell, 1889

Rev. William Penhall, 1890

Rev. Thomas McNair, 1896

Rev. W. H. Graham, 1899

Rev. S. R. McVitty, 1903

Rev. John W. Robinson, 1907

Rev. Herbert J. Creasey, 1910

Rev. Thomas E. Sawyer, 1913

Rev. Fred T. Kinghan, 1914

Rev. J. N. Gould, 1916

Rev. A. W. Brown, 1921

Rev. James Husser, 1922

Rev. Wallace Moss, 1925

Rev. W. R. Hughes, 1926

Rev. R. B. Cumming, 1930

Rev. J. N. Woods, 1935

Rev. R. C. Downs, 1940

Rev. J. G. Barnard, 1945

Rev. J. V. Clarke, 1947

Rev. E. J. Robertson, 1951

Rev. S. A. Selby, 1955

Rev. W. H. Carnes, 1960

Rev. D. S. Randall, 1962-1967

Rev. E. B. Morden, 1968-1975

Rev. W. P. Smetheram, 1975

Rev. F. Ewart Madden, 1976

Rev. Sue Seymour MacGregor, 1980

Rev. Eric Ledrew, 1981

Rev. Hugh MacDonald, 2000’s

 

Township:                  Yarmouth
Denomination:           Congregationalist

Name of Church:      Port Stanley Congregationalists

Location:                   

Colborne Street near Hetty Street, Port Stanley

Date of Formation:    1852

Date of Closing:         existed only a short time

Records:                     no known records

History:                       

A deed dated June 28, 1852 exists for part of lots 8 & 9, West Colborn Street, from Alexander Hodge to Trustees of the Congregational Church at Port Stanley.

 

Township:                  Yarmouth

Denomination:           Society of Friends (Quaker)

Name of Church:      Society of Friends, Sparta

Location:  

Lot 21, Concession 4 (Sparta) (6387 Quaker Road)  Sparta Friends Meeting House

Date of Formation:    ca 1820

Date of Closing:         still active in 2020

Affiliations:               

Norwich Monthly Meeting (1819)

Preparative Meeting established (1821)

Representative Formally established (1823)

Hicksite Connection (1828)

Records:                    

Membership Register (1819 – 1991) in possession of Edward Willson, R.R. #2, St. Thomas, Ontario

History:                      

The first Quakers in the Sparta area held their religious services in the homes of John Kipp and Isaac Moore in 1819.  In 1820, the first Friends’ Meeting hall was built, on the site of what is now the Quaker Cemetery. 

A deed dated April 8, 1820 for 1 acre, part of lot 19, concession 4 exists from Jonathan Doan Sr. to John Kipp & William Harvey, Trustees of the Society of Friends.  Another deed, dated March 2, 1845, exists for 1 1/4 acres, south part of the west half of lot 20, concession 4, from Amos G. Canby to A. Hough [?] & H. G. Zavitz, Trustees of the Society of Friends.

Later, a larger frame edifice was erected near the original hall and was used until 1865 when the present frame building was erected north of the corners. It was enlarged in 1873 to accommodate the yearly meeting.

 

Township:                  Port Stanley (Southwold side of village)
Denomination:           Roman Catholic

Name of Church:      St. Joseph’s Church, Port Stanley

Location:                    George Street, Port Stanley  Port Stanley St. Josephs Church

Date of Formation:    1852

Date of Closing:         active

Affiliations:               

St. Thomas (Holy Angels) (1852-present)

Aylmer (Jan. 18, 1901 –          ?)

Fingal (1830-   ?)

Records:                    

location of records unknown; probably with Holy Angels Registers

History:                      

According to local tradition, the first Mass in Port Stanley was held in 1852 in the Vigus residence, which was located on Main Street, south of the present site of the Clifton House.  Mass was often held at the residence of Colonel Bostwick.  In 1860 the congregation purchased the Sons of Temperance Hall in the north part of the village, and was served by priests from Holy Angels church in St. Thomas.  A new edifice was erected in 1912 on a high knoll on the north side of St. George street.  At one time, it was used only during the summer months, but because of the demand it was winterized and is in use year round.  The church was constructed with bricks from the old Holy Angels Church in St. Thomas.

Priests:                       

Father Ryan

Father Flannery

Father Frechet

Father Zucher

Father Flannery