Talbot Times 1995 December



Newsletter of the




Extracts of Genealogical information

Thanks and Best Wishes Dear Members,

As 1995 quickly draws to an end, so does my term of office. It has been a distinct pleasure and honour to have served as Chairman of Elgin Branch for the past two years. I have enjoyed it all – the meetings and the people with whom I have come into contact during my tenure. I owe so many thanks to so many people – not just the executive but all of the members who have come out and offered their volunteer services.

We have had some wonderful meetings and we have some excellent ones planned for the future. Come out and you will be greatly rewarded.

As the old years comes to a close, the festive season of Christmas is at hand – the time for pleasant social gatherings and happy reunions. We will be reminded on God’s “unspeakable gift” to mankind.

I wish the new Chairman and his executive all my continued support and continued prosperity to the branch.

On behalf on Lynda and myself, I wish everyone the compliments of the season and hope you all have a truly Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Sincerely with regards,

Don Cosens,



Church at the Bend of the River

Christ Church, Port Stanley, is celebrating its 150th anniversary in 1995. In conjunction with the church, the Elgin County O.G.S. has printed a collective history of Christ Church (Anglican), Port Stanley, Ontario. Included is a complete record from the parish registers, c1850 – 1994. Cost is $25 plus postage & handling. Contact the branch for your copy. The Huron Diocese Archives have been most helpful in our research for this book and we wish to thank them of all their assistance.

Researching Adoptions

by James L. McCallum

(Jim has personal experience on this subject and has helped several people find birth family relatives.)

Searching for birth parents or relatives is a very complicated subject because there are no two cases alike. Each case has to be analyzed individually for the best method of approach. Sometimes very detailed information with good clues is available; other times the information provided could apply to just about anyone.

Prior to 1921 the recording of and court proceedings pertaining to adoptions were not legislated in the Province of Ontario. The proceedings pre 1921 were called “indentures” whereby the child took on the parents’ names. The indenture did no alter the birth certificate in those days, but it was a form of adoption. The Office of the Registrar General has now released birth registrations from 1869 to 1898 through the Ontario Vital Statistics Indexes. Births involving an act of guardianship may be listed twice; once as illegitimate birth, often under the mother’s surname, and again, under the guardian’s surname. If the surname was altered before the creation of the Indexes in the late 1950’s, only the corrected version is listed. Private institutions, such as the Women’s Christian Association of London, provided shelter for single expectant mothers, and handled the placements of the babies. Their registers, however, remain sealed for a period of 100 years from the date of the event.

The Ontario government has kept records of all adoptions completed in the province since 1921. In 1987 legislation was passed to strike a balance between the right of adoptees to know and the right of birth parents to privacy. The result was the formation of The Adoption Unit, Ministry of Community and Social Services, 2 Bloor St. W., 24th Floor, Toronto, ON M7A 1E9, telephone: 416-327-4730. One of the functions of this office is to conduct a registry and search service that adoptees and birth relatives can register their names for a match. There exists a huge backlog of requests which could take several years before a match is made. For an adoptee, this process only works if a member of the birth family has also registered. More information on the services of The Adoption Unit can be found in their brochure, “Adoption Disclosure Services”. Legislation also exists allowing an adoptee over the age of 18 to obtain non-identifying background information on the birth family. This information is available from The Adoption Unit and, also from the Children’s Aid Society from which the adoption was handled. This information will give a description of the birth parents, usually including age, education, ethnic origins, a brief medical history, information about their parents, and sometimes occupation. No locations or surnames are given. This information, however, is very useful since a large percentage of adoptees were placed with families residing in the same county as the birth family.

The next bit of information that legislation now allows the adoptee to obtain is The Adoption Order. This is the court document that awards custody of the child to the adoptive parents. The information contained in this document includes date and place of adoption, and the child’s birth surname. Sometimes only the first initial of the surname is given. This document is available from The Adoption Unit once the adoptee turns 18. A form called “Affidavit in Support of Application to Director for copy of an Adoption Order” is required, plus a fee of $15.00. Quite often the adoptive parents have a copy of this Adoption Order in their possession. It is much simpler to ask them first. Note that up until last year(1994), adoptees could not obtain this document unless the birth surname was already know to them; but their adoptive parents could obtain it for them. That has now been changed, allowing adoptees access to this information themselves without knowing their birth surname.

New legislation is currently being debated that would allow an adoptive child after age 18 access to a copy of their original birth registration. The act would give birth parents 1 year from the time of passage of the bill to have their name put in a “no contact register”, which means even if the adoptees know the parents’ names from the registration, they cannot contact them without being subject to a fine of $5,000. If the birth parents do not list their names in the no contact register, then the child would not be subject to a fine. This proposed legislation is Bill 158, “An Act to Amend the Vital Statistics Act and the Child and Family Services Act in respect of Adoption Disclosure”. Ask your provincial Member of Parliament about this Bill 158.

Once a surname and description of the family has been found, basic genealogical research techniques can be used to locate dead and living birth relatives.

St. Thomas Weekly Times,

17 Feb. 1916

Mr. and Mrs. Welburn Leeson Have Been Married 59 Years

Mr. & Mrs. Welburn Leeson, former residents of Aylmer vicinity, recently celebrated their 59th wedding anniversary at Brandon, MB. The celebration took place at the home of their daughter, Mrs. John Willison. Both enjoy splendid health & look forward to many happy years to come. On this occasion a dinner was held in their honour, at which covers were laid for twelve, the aged bride & groom receiving the congratulations & good wishes of many friends. Coming to Canada from Lincolnshire, Eng., 17 years old, Mr. Leeson settled near Aylmer, ON, where he engaged in farming. Later, at the age of 20 years, Mrs. Leeson, then Miss Sarah Anne Atkin, coming from the same county in

Eng., also settled near Aylmer, where they met & were married in 1856. They went to Manitoba in 1891, & later moved to Brandon. The members of the family are Mrs. J. Willison, Brandon; Mrs. J. Arnold, Wetaskiwan, AB, & one son, William, Springfield, recently deceased.


Canadian None Journal, St. Thomas, 1 Jan. 1875

STEWART-WARD – At St. Thomas, by the Rev. Geo. Cuthbertson, on the 24th ult, Peter C. Stewart, Yarmouth, to Miss Adelia Ward, Southwold.

LYLE-HAY – By the same, on the 25th ult, John Lyle, Southwold, to Miss Ellen Hay, daughter of Thomas Hay, of St. Thomas.

MCLARTY–STEWART – By the same, assisted by the Rev. Neil McKinnon, at the bride’s father’s residence in Dorchester, on the 29th ult, Angus McLarty, of Yarmouth, to Annie, daughter of John Stewart.

MCPHERSON-PATTERSON – By the same, on the 31st ult, James McPherson to Miss Margaret Patterson, both of Aldborough.

MCTAGGART-CAMPBELL – By the same, on the 10th ult, Malcolm McTaggart, Esq., to Miss Campbell, all of North Yarmouth.

ALLISON-McMULLEN – By the same, on the 31st ult, John Allison to Miss Sarah Jane McMullen, both of Dunwich.

GRAHAM-GUNN – On the 22nd ult, by Elder William Pollard, at the residence of the bride’s mother, Moses Graham to Miss Eliza B. Gunn, all of Dunwich.


Members of Elgin Co. OGS are entitled to 2 free queries per issue. Printing & editing are at the editor’s discretion.

GRAHAM/BEETON/ARCHIBALD – Sarah Jane GRAHAM b 1861, Aldborough Twp, Elgin Co. D/o John & Isabel (BEETON) GRAHAM. Mar Mr. ARCHIBALD. Had 2 sons Ira and Albert. Info needed by F. I. HINDMARSH VanPATTER/ MILLS/ BARTON/CORMACK -Bertha VanPATTER b 1865, Malahide Twp, Elgin Co, d/o J. Harvey & Nancy Melissa (MILLS) VanPATTER. Bertha mar 26 May 1884 Warren BARTON. Bertha’s sis Nina m 24 Nov 1890 John CORNACK, s/a Leslie & Sarah. John was Mailivery in St.Thomas. All info appreciated by F.I. HINDMARSH

CAMPBELL/McTAVISH/ POLLARD/McKELLAR/ NICHOL/McINTYRE -Looking for info on ch of Malcolm & Catherine (CAMPBELL) McTAVISH, both b Scotland, both bd Duart Cem, Orford Twp. Kent Co. Dau Euphemia b ca 1842 mar John POLLARD of Dunwich, s/o William POLLARD. Another dau Mary b ca 1835 mar Peter McKELLAR of Aldborough Twp. Dau Margaret b ca 1836 mar Duncan B. NICHOL, poss lvd Aldborough. No info on Dau Jennett b ca 1844 or Alexander b ca 1849. Other 5 ch stayed in Orford Twp. Have Declaration of Attestion to Birth of Malcolm McTAVISH 15 Mar 1891 b Dutton to Alexander McTAVISH and Annie McINTYRE who mar 24 Sept 1873 in Clearwater, Manitoba, signed in Dutton 11 Dec. 1918. Is this the above Alexander? All info to Mrs Nancy CAMERON

WOOD/BARNAM – Want info on William Kay WOOD(S) & wife Martha Ann BARNAM. Resided Morpeth, then mvd to farm near Sparta where Martha was born. Both bd in Sparta South Cem. Was Wm s/a Jacob & Ann WOOD? Did they have ch? Was he related to Robert WOOD who settled Morpeth? All info to Mrs Nancy CAMERON

OSTRANDER/RYCKMAN/MARLATT/ANDREWS/COUSE – Seek contact with desc of William OSTRANDER (1796-1873) who farmed Lot 11, Con 9 of Yarmouth Twp. He & wife Sarah Ann (RYCKMAN) had: James, Job Earl, Caroline m George MARLATT; Wm; Eliza Ann m James ANDREWS; Rachel m George COUSE; Mary m Adam Mathew (?); George W.; Peter. All info to Ross W. McCURDY

SCRIVER/WOLF – Wish to know the ancestors & desc of James H. SCRIVER & wife Miss WOLF. He d Aylmer, Elgin co., ON. Had a son Henry Harry SCRIVER, b 1875 Aylmer, Elgin Co & d 1963 Port Huron, MI. Any help would be appreciated by Ernest MOSIER

SCHROEDER/SCRIVER – Looking for anc of Hannah “Addie” Willimina SCHROEDER, b 7/7/1879 Aylmer, ON, mar Henry Harry SCRIVER 1897 in Aylmer, Elgin Co ON. Addie d 8/8/1965 Oakland Co MI. Their son Harley Henry SCRIVER, b Aylmer 8/23/1909. All help appreciated! Ernest MOSIER

RYCKMAN/HAWKINS – Rachel RYCKMAN mar Isaac B. HAWKINS M.D. who d 1832 Yarmouth Twp, Elgin Co. Ch: Charles, Eliza. Possibly lvd near Sparta or New Sarum. Rachel had brother. All info to Jeffrey BOOTH

REID/BEVIN – William REID 1802 Jan 2, Eng d 1885 Kent Co ON. Mar 1828 St.Paul’s, Eng, to Charlotte BEVIN; joined Methodist Church, 1831 emigrated to Canada. Charlotte b 1807 March 26 Eng. D 1890 Kent Co ON. Ch: William, Ellen, Mary A., Harriet, Charlotte, Sarah, Emily, John B., & Thomas. Info on any of above would be appreciated. Noreen S. ANNETT

ROBINSON/REID – Arthur Joseph ROBINSON b 1844 Apr 30 Ireland, mar 1867 May 29 United Church of England & Ireland, Florence, ON, – Emily REID d 1919 Mar 15 in Melrose, E. Oakland, CA, USA; Emma/Emily REID/REED, b c 1844 c May, Howard Twp., Kent Co. ON. d 1884 Feb 7, Selton, Howard Twp., Kent Co. ON Ch: Harriet Esther, “Irene” Agnes Ann, James Wm., Arthur St. George, Bertha, & Wesley Bruce. Please contact Noreen ANNETT

EDMONDS -Info needed re EDMONDS fam found in Southwold Twp 1851 Census: W.H. EDMONDS, 29, Blacksmith, Mariah /Maria / Sarah / 28 & George 4 yrs. What happened to them? 1871 Southwold Census- William EDMONDS 40, Phoebe 38, & ch: Abram 14, Joseph 10, Suzanne 7, Thomas 4, Hiram 4/12. 1881 Census: William EDMONDS 50, Phoebe A. 48, Joseph William 20, Thomas Wesley 14. All info to Brenda EDMONDS

SINGER/OVERHOLT/HOWEY -Nancy SINGER b 10 July 1800, d/o John SINGER & Susanne OVERHOLT, d 25 Mar 1864 Charlotteville Twp., Norfolk Co. Mar Isaac John HOWEY s/o Robert HOWEY & Jane of Grimsby. 11 Ch: Any info on SINGER or OVERHOLT families would be appreciated. All info to Ruth ROBERTSON

DOUGHERTY (DOCHERTY) – James b c 1795, s/o John settled in Southwold Twp,

Elgin Co. receiving property from Thomas Talbot in 1816, the mvd to Moaa Twp – from 1827 to c 1842. Had bro John in Southwold Twp., Could have had bros Charles & William. Who were James’ wife and ch? – where did they move? Any info to Stan DAUGHARTY 

WILLSON/BLATCHFORD – James Cauhey WILLSON b 31 July 1855 Southwold Twp, Elgin Co. ON – 15th child of Mordecai WILLSON & Rachel VanSICKLE. Reports are that he mar #1 ca 1885 to Beatrice BLATCHFORD b ca 1856 in ON. James mar *2 – Tina BLATCHFORD b ca 1858. James Cauhey WILLSON d 26 June 1929 in Chatham ON, is bd in Maple Leaf Cemetery, Chatham. Obit gave no info on his life! Were Beatrice and Tina sisters? Who were their prts? From where? What were dates of marriages? Was there issue from either marriage? Rumour has a Mabel listed!!!! All info to Norma C. SMITH, R.R. # 4, St.Thomas, ON

ENGLE/GRARAM – Mary Walker Frame GRAHAM, b 17 June 1910 to John Hubert GRAHAM & wife Mary in Limerick, SK, mar Henry B. ENGLE 15 Sept 1940. Henry ENGLE held a Masters Degree in Agriculture and had a post in Washington, D.C with the Department of Agriculture in the 1940’s. They lvd in Lititz, PA. Had a son & 2 dau. Wish to find connections of this line of the WILLSON-VANSICKLE Family connection. All info to Norma C. SMITH

McGREGOR – John McGregor, b1847 Yarmouth Twp, Elgin Co. Mvd c1859 to Bosanquet Twp, Lambton Co. Alone? with family? marr 1883 Mary Piggot in Forest ON. Dau Laurina b 1884, son John b 1883 in Yarmouth Twp. Died Oct 1916 Pinehill, Bosanquet Twp. Brothers: Donald 1845; James 1850; Duncan 1851; Peter 1853. They were born where? lived Where? desc?. Parents: James McGregor, born where? when? parents? siblings? marr 1841 Sarah McKellar b1882 Sct, born where?. All info to Linda Koolen.

PHELPS – Arthur, s/o Champion Phelps & Phoebe Norton, born c1854, Townsend Twp. Norfolk Co. Marr Cassie Rogers of St. Thomas 14 Apr 1886. Where did they go? Any children? All info to James L. McCallum

Ten Years Sees Many Changes in Aylmer

Aylmer Express, 7 May 1925

More than 80% of Present Business Operated Under Different Name only a Decade Ago. Many New Institutions.

If some one were to tell you that over 80% of the business places in Aylmer today were under different management or the stores and buildings were used for entirely different purposes ten years ago, you, as a citizen of Aylmer, would, at first thought, doubt the assertion. Ten years seems but a short space of time and if one does not stop and look back, one cannot realize flow steadily changes occur in the life of even a small community.

A review of the business section of Aylmer shows the following changes in the business life here:

The Elcaya Company of Canada now occupy the corner formerly known as the Mero House and ten years ago used as a dried apple warehouse.

Thayer’s Garage and the Universal Car Agency ten years ago was the Baptist parsonage.

P.T. King’s Grocery and Mrs. Ripley’s Millinery Store used to be the music store of Ted

Trim and late Dan McLean’s barber shop.

Both the Central hotel and the Brown House have changed proprietors.

W.R. Pierce & Co. ‘s furniture store was Palmer & Son’s.

E.E. Martin’s general store was owned by H.L. Stratton.

Leeson Bros. clothing shop was Lackie’ s confectionery.

The 5 and l0 cent store ten years ago was owned by Mr. Thompson, of Simcoe. Youell & Wrong’s Big Store (now owned by Durkee & Son) was in the hands of J.M. Farthing.

H.L. Stratton’s confectionery was owned by T.H. Willoughby. Brown & Erskine’s hardware was formerly J.H. Glover’s.

Jack Harris’s barber shop was owned by Walter Snyder.

Parker & Co.’s coal, flour and feed warehouse now stands where King’s big livery stable stood ten years ago. It was destroyed by fire.

J.E. Lindsay’s garage was F. Macginnis’ implement warerooms.

Hines’ shoe repair shop was Dr. Pickering’s office.

Baxter’s Feed Barn was owned by W.E. Tomlin.

The new home of the Aylmer Steam Laundry, O’Brien & Moe’s store and Mr. Woolley’s barber shop, used to be Bradley’s butcher shop and Russ Caughey’s harness shop. A millinery store, Stewart & Son’s real estate office and Geo. Allen’s furniture store now occupy the former Mansion House.

Milt Wright’s garage was the home of the Aylmer Steam Laundry. The Dominion Store a decade ago was occupied by Enoch Mills.

Bottrill’s shoe repair shop and the gas office were formerly residences.

Bardawell’s jewellery store is in the office of the late W. Warnock. Ira Mabee was in the implement business.

The new office building of D.H. Connor and Howse & Co.‘s garage are erected on the site of Shepherd & Davey’s blacksmith shop and D. Howse’s implement warehouse, destroyed by fire.

J.W. Cline erected a new building for himself and the Canadian National Express Co., his former shop being burned up.

H.E. Armstrong and the Division Court are in the office of the East Elgin Reformer of ten years ago.

Moss’ vulcanizing shop was formerly C. & R. Thayer’s gent’s furnishing store.

Sear’s shoe store was Standing’s book store.

F.L. Truman’s Massy-Harris agency was occupied by Lindsay & Lindsay, and Mr. Shierholtz had the Gem Theatre.

Young’s bakery was Pierce’s chopping mill.

Pound’s warehouse at the G.T.R. was the U.F.O. store.

McClennan & Son’s coal yard was operated by Frank Bros.

W.M. Davis’ building supplies was Em. Millard’s garage. Cliff Lamb occupies the former Bell Telephone office.

The Bank of Montreal occupy the Molsons Bank premises. McClennan’s store was Gillett’s grocery.

Paterson Bros. hardware was Miller’s hardware.

Ira Candy succeeds Frank Fisher in electrical wiring

Dr. Clark is an addition to the dental profession, Dr. McNeice to the medical profession and Dr. Davis as veterinary.

Morris’ Dry Goods will occupy the former Youell & Wrong store.

Wooster & Turner occupy the store formerly that of Lambert & Allen.

Snider’s vulcanizing plant and L. Verdones’s shoe repair are in the store which ten years ago was Poustie’s grocery.

Clark’s barber shop was Frank Light’s plumbing shop.

Provincial Savings Bank occupies the premises a decade ago Anderson’s dry goods store.

Corbin’s butcher shop was owned by Geo. Trim.

The Aylmer Pump & Scale Co. has changed ownership.

Magill Hats are a new industry.

And no doubt there are several other changes we have failed to note.

When one looks over this list, it hardly seems possible so many changes have taken place and we have hardly noticed them.

We have not noted those businesses which have continued in operation under the same name, but compared with the list given above, they are far from numerous.

RYCKMAN GATHERING AUGUST 9, 10, & 11, 1996 Barrie, Ontario

All RYCKMAN Families are invited to contact F. Irvine RYCKMAN, 39 Cook Street, Barrie, ON Canada L4M 4G1 or Tel/Fax 1—705—726-1229. From Nov 8 – Dec 16,1995 and Jan 6 — March 31,1996, we shall be in Florida at the following address: 2100 Kings Highway, Unit 359, Port Charlotte, FL 33980—4233 USA. Tel/Fax 1—941—625—5404. We shall be in Barrie ON, for the Christmas Season.

A big three day celebration is being planned so contact me early for registration. Let us hear from you soon!


Canadian Home Journal, St. Thomas, 1 Jan. 1875

MUNRO – BASSETT: On the 22nd ult, by the Rev. Thos. Baldwin, at the residence of Mrs. Souton, Archibald MUNRO, Southwold Twp, to Miss Jane BASSETT of St. Thomas.

HENDERSON — PHILLIPS: On the 30th ult, by same, at the residence of Mr. Eben Phillips, Mr. Asher HENDERSON, of C.S.R. to Miss Annie Maria PHILLIPS, both of St. Thomas.

PHILLIPS – CAMPBELL: On the 5th inst1 by the same, at the bride’s residence, Mr. Ebenezer C. PHILLIPS to Mrs. Margaret CAMPBELL, both of St. Thomas.

LAWSON – WAUGH: By the Rev. Andrew Edwards, of Belmont, on the 24th ult, at the bride’s father’s residence, Mr. Peter H. LAWSON of Westminster, to Miss Alice WAUGH, eldest daughter of J.H. Waugh, Esq., of Nilestown.

WELDON – BOSTWICK: By the same, on the 30th ult, at the residence of the bride’s grandfather, Mr. Joseph WELDON of Westminster, to Miss Getia Maria BOSTWICK, granddaughter of Jacob Manning, Esq., of North Dorchester.

LEGG – SHEPPARD: At the residence of Elder E. Sheppard, the father of the bride, by Elder C. Sinclair, on the 23rd ult, Mr. Samuel LEGG to Miss Eliza SHEPPARD.

GREEN – McDIARMID: At the residence of the father of the bride, on the 5th inst, Mr. Freeman GREEN, to Miss Isabella McDIAPMID, both of Howard.

SHERB – LUTON: At the residence of the bride’s father, on the 24th ult, by Elder E. Sheppard, Mr. Jacob C. SHERB to Miss Lottie LUTON, both of S. Dorchester.

GILLES – BROWN: By the same, at the residence of Arch. Brown, the bride’s father, on the 6th inst, Mr. Zachariah GILLES, merchant, of Westminster, to Miss Maggie BROWN of Southwold.

McCOLL – FREDERICK: On the 6th inst, by the Rev. John L. Campbell, Mr. Duncan S. McCOLL of Eagle, to Miss Annie FREDERICK of Chatham.

15 Jan. 1875

BROAD – KAINES: On the 7th inst at residence of the bride’s father, by Rev. Robt. Cade, Mr. John BROAD, of St. Thomas, to Jennie, youngest daughter of George KAINES, Esq., Police Magistrate, Bowmanville, Ont.

LINDSAY – MCBAIN: At the residence of the bride’s father, on the 14th inst, by Rev. George Cuthbertson, Mr. John LINDSAY, to Miss Mary, daughter of John McBAIN, Esq., all of North Yarmouth.

22 Jan. 1875

No Marriages Reported

29 Jan. 1875

NICOLLS – BAIRD: By Rev. Jas. Harris of Fingal, on the 20th inst, Mr. Robt NICOLLS, of the Township of Essa, Ont., to Miss Mary Ann BAIRD of Southwold, sister of John Baird, Esq., merchant, of St. Thomas.

Region 2 Directors Report

— Jean Bircham #10334 Bd of Directors Meeting: 24-25 November 1995 Friday evening was spent in evaluating and determining the goals for 1996, 1997 and 1998 on our strategic plan. We developed objectives for 1996 and considered the budget implications.

In addition, for the rest of Friday and all of Saturday, the board covered some of the following topics: Nomination Report for President and Vice-President; review of Index format for OGS Indices; Life Memberships and classification of OGS supporters; review of a genealogical beginners kit; Updates of Clendennin Cemetery closure, Leadership Workshops, Inventory of Services, Memberships for 1995, OGS home page; Christmas closing of OGS office; new publication proposals; and budget for OGS for 1996.

Elgin Co. O.G.S. 1995 Executive

Past Chair – Lloyd G. Smith

Chair – Don Cosens

1st Vice Chair — James L. McCallum

2nd Vice Chair – Carol Hall

Secretary – Frank Clarke

– Stan Daugharty

Treasurer – Max Doan

Newsletter Editor – Jean Bircham