NEWSLETTER OF THE
ELGIN COUNTY BRANCH
ONTARIO GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
BOX 416, ST. THOMAS, ONT. N5P 3V2
VOLUME XI ISSUE ONE MARCH 1992
HAPPY 10TH ANNIVERSARY!
March 1992 is the 10th anniversary of the Elgin County Branch of The Ontario Genealogical Society. During the past 10 years we have been blessed with many, very dedicated volunteers who have transcribed cemeteries, worked on various publications, served on the executive and have done virtually any and every job necessary to keep Elgin O.G.S. active and thriving.
On this special occasion I would like to take this opportunity to thank those members who have helped in any way. I would also like to thank all of you who have supported the branch with your memberships.
During the past 10 years members of Elgin O.G.S. have worked on the 1871 Census
Index project. Now the members are working on the Places of Worship Records Inventory project and the Inns project for O.G.S. Our own ongoing project is a compilation of all the deaths and burials occurring in Elgin county for a Master Index. In addition members are working on various other new publications. As long as the Elgin O.G.S. has people willing to undertake these and other projects the branch will continue to prosper.
Elgin County Branch of The Ontario Genealogical Society can be proud of its achievements during the past 10 years and can look forward to the years ahead.
1992 EXECUTIVE ELGIN COUNTY O.G.S.
Past Chairman: Jean Bircham
Chairman: Margaret Daugharty
1st Vice-chairman: Lloyd Smith
2nd Vice-chairman: Don Cosens
Treasurer: Max Doan
Recording Secretary: Frank Clarke
Corresponding Secretary: Stan Daugharty
Membership Secretary: Jean Bircham
Query Secretary: Norma Smith
Publications Co-ordinator: Jean Bircham
Cemetery Co-ordinator: Max Doan
Newsletter Editors: Jean Bircham & Frank Clarke
Librarian: Jane Gordon
Vital Statistics Co-ordinators: Vera Vint & Ruth Robertson Social Convenor: Susan Calcutt
Archivist: Doreen Herr
Mystery Door Prize Organizer: Barbara Ferguson
NEW AND INTERESTING
ONTARIO GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY SEMINAR ’92
TRAILS TO SUPERHIGHWAYS, ONTARIO’S ROUTES
May 22 – 24, 1992
Hamilton Convention Centre
Info: Box 8062, Dundas, ON
REGION II ANNUAL MEETING
Speaker: Brenda Merriman
Place: 1st St Andrew’s Church
Queens Ave & Waterloo St, London, ON Date: 13 April 1992 Time: 7:30 p.m.
Brief Business Meeting and Election of Officers to follow speaker.
Nominations for Director and Secretary-Treasurer may be made at the meeting.
GRIFFITH VALUATION MAPS
(The Heraldry & Genealogical Society of Canbera Inc., The Ancestral Searcher, June 1991- Maura O’Connor)
The Irish Ordinance survey six inch maps showing the location of owned or rented land recorded on Griffith’s Valuations between 1848 and 1864 are held in only two repositories – for Northern Ireland in Belfast and for the republic in Dublin. Info is supplied for purchasing microfiche copies of the first edition of the maps from the National Archives in Ottawa.
WHAT’S IN A NAME
(Powell River Genealogy Group, Tree – Talk, Summer 1991 – Neil O. Stubberfield) The author lists the variations and difficulties in determining his father’s and grandfather’s name. He says “in the world of research DOCUMENTATION is only as good as the mood of the documented person and the abilities of the clerk that does the documenting”.
GLOIN – Reunion to be held at the East Pavilon in Pinafore Park, St. Thomas; Sunday 7 June 1992. On Sat 6 June will be a dedication of a memorial to Francis Gloin, Sr. at the Old English Church, St. Thomas. Pre-reunion dinner – party at Pt. Stanley. To commerate the arrival of the GLOIN family in Upper Canada at Pt. Stanley on 2 June 1842. Contact Don Cosens.
OSTRANDER – Ostrander Family Assoc. will meet on 25-28 June 1992 at Salt Lake City, Utah. Send SASE for info to Peter Ostrander.
McCURDY -Descendants of Samuel McCurdy will meet at Surry, New Hampshire on 10-12 July 1992. Send SASE for info: Canada – Vincent McCurdy; USA – Ross McCurdy.
HAZEN – Descendants of Daniel Hazen, U.E.L., will meet at Pt. Rowan ON, on 17-19 July 1992. Send SASE for info: Canada – Bruce Thomley; USA – -Ross W. McCurdy.
McLARTY/ McCLARY – Subscription to “The King’s Speaker”, a quarterly publication of news and family history of McLARTY/McCLARTY families. Cost is $5.00 for US; $6.50 for Can. $7.50 (US funds) overseas. Mail to: King’s Speaker, P.O. Box 7053, Lorna Linda, CA 92354.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE EDISON FAMILY – from Harbour Lights, July 1992.
Around 1728 Dutch immigrants settled Elizabethport, New Jersey. Among them was a 3 year old boy, great grandfather of Thomas Alva Edison. Following the American Revolution in 1783 John Edison migrated to Nova Scotia.
In 1811 John Edison settled in Vienna, taking advantage of a 600 acre land grant, bringing son Samuel who was born in 1804. In 1828 Capt. Samuel Edison married Nancy Elliott. Here their first 4 children, siblings to Thomas, were born. Capt. Samuel Edison’s independent political thought provoked lively debate at the Hotel he owned and managed in Vienna.
Samuel Edison violently opposed taxation without representation. His outspoken courage of his convictions did not endear him to the Upper Canada power brokers of the day. He was forced to choose between exile to Bermuda or flight to the USA. After a year of wandering he settled in Milan, Ohio. After he sent for his wife and children, Thomas Alva Edison was born on 11 Feb. 1847.
The Edison Museum in Vienna is open Wed. to Sun. The grand opening was held on 11 Aug. 1992.
HERITAGE CANADA INSTALLS TOLL-FREE NUMBER
Heritage Canada is pleased to announce that it has installed a toll-free line, 1-800668-1867, to provide all Canadians with easy access to information on its programmes and membership.
8 April: “Bring a scrapbook of your family memories”. This is planned to be a show & tell night involving you.
13 May: To be announced.
10 June: Program to be announced. Social time afterwards with strawberries and ice cream.
Copies of Elgin County cemetery transcriptions are now available on microfiche at $1.00 per sheet, plus postage and handling. Contact the Branch for more details.
Index to Wesleyan Methodist Baptistmal Register for Elgin County. Compiled by R. Jones. Cost $17.50. Contact the Elgin County Branch.
The Elgin County Branch, O.G.S., would like to express its sympathies to the friends and family of Helen Pincombe, U.E.L., who died February 24, 1992. Mrs. Pincombe was a long-time member of the Branch. Her enthusiasm and support will be greatly missed.
THE ORIGIN OF THE NAME – FIVE STAKES
For at least two generations, Talbotville was known as “Five Stakes”. Today, except for the license plates on Elmer Auckland’s car, the name is seldom seen or heard, although genealogists and local historians doubtless encounter it from time to time. The name “Talbotville Royal” only became official when the post office was established in Dec. 1851. Where did the name “Five Stakes” come from?
Credit Mahlon Burwell: in 1811 he was commissioned by the government to survey a road to connect Port Talbot to a road through Westminster Twp. near the Thames River. In addition, Thomas Talbot ordered him to survey a connecting road, from the easterly point of his survey in Southwold Twp., in a southeasterly direction, to a point on the first Talbot Road at the Yarmouth – Southwold Township line. This was to produce, at what is now the Talbotville intersection of Highways 3 & 4, five surveyors’ stakes in the forest, each representing a road allowance.
To undertake the survey Mahlon Burwell and his survey party left Port Talbot early on
5 Aug. 1811 and walked 2 1/2 miles northwest to a point on the Dunwich – Southwold Township line. Here Burwell began to survey a road northeastward along a line parallel to the first Talbot Road ( Front Street) which he had surveyed in 1809. Two hundred acre lots, each measuring 20 by 100 chains (1/4 mile wide by 1 1/4 miles deep), were laid off on both sides of the road, parallel to the Dunwich Twp. line. Road allowances were marked off every five lots (1 1/4 miles) for sideroads.
On 12 Aug., probably late in the afternoon, Burwell reached the east side of lot 40. He had completed surveying what was to be known as Back Street. Here he halted to prepare for turning northward towards Westminster Twp. This spot became the “angle” of the North Branch of the Talbot Road (NBTR) around which the hamlet of Five Stakes was to develop.
The next day Burwell explored the country to the north. Satisfied that it was suitable for a road he began surveying again, marking off standard 20 chain-wide lots on the east side of the road allowance. This road was to become known as North Street. After he cleared the rear of lot 40 north, lots were also laid off on the west side. Continuing north he reached, on 19 Aug., two concessions of Westminster which had already been partially surveyed.
On 26 Oct. 1811, Burwell returned to the “angle of the North Branch” at the east side of lot 40, with instructions from Talbot to survey a road “to form a junction with the Road from the River Thames and the first Street surveyed, to intersect at Kettle Creek”. Here, where Front St. crosses the Southwold – Yarmouth township line, some settlers had arrived a year or so earlier, and, within a few more years, the settlement would become known as St. Thomas. During the October survey, Burwell also laid off lots A, B, C and D to the east of lot 40 South; and lots E, F and G in the gore between the Back and North St. lots.
The survey of the North Branch of the Talbot Road, connecting the Talbot Settlement on Lake Erie with the Westminster Settlement near the Thames River, had now been completed. At its northeast “angle” there were five stakes, each marking the direction for a future road. The hamlet that was to develop here had a ready-made name – “Five Stakes”. Settlement was delayed a few years. First, Burwell and Talbot had difficulties with the officials in York who insisted that the road should have been surveyed in a straight line from Port Talbot to what is now, Byron. The officials wanted to erase the survey from the map but the War of 1812 broke out and neither Talbot nor the York officials had time to consider surveys or settlers. But, by 1817, Talbot was “locating” settlers in the Five Stakes area and, the next year, the Boughners, Bowlbys, Smiths, Berdans and others began to arrive from Long Point and started to clear their lots. The community of Five Stakes was on its way.
(taken from a draft manuscript on the early history of Five Stakes being prepared by the author.)
Reference: M. Burwell, “Diary: North Branch of the Talbot Road, 1811.” (Archives of Ontario)
The following articles were taken from a special edition of the “St. Thomas Times – Journal”, 1931. If you can supply further info on these questions, send it to the branch and it will printed in upcoming issues. The editors do not have the answers to these questions.
REMEMBER? – by R.J. Miller
When Pinafore Lake was dry for some months?
When the big meteor fell on Yarwood’s farm?
When Mexican Joe was a resident of the town?
When George Stacey operated a theatre in Pinafore Park?
When John Millar, M.A, was principal of the High School?
When the late John McLean was Deputy County Judge of Elgin?
When John Brent had a bolt works over St George hill?
When there were 18 hotels and saloons along Talbot St. ?
When Charles and Josie Haystead were residents of the town?
When Sgt. Ross patrolled the main street with his miltary walk?
When services were regularly held in the old church on Walnut St?
When the Grand Trunk employees had a boat house at Pinafore Lake?
When Dave Gorman had a flour mill at Yarwood’s pond, now Pinafore Lake?
When Lachilin Campbell lived where the Sutherland Press building is located?
When Tom Brown’s Stock Company held forth in the old theatre on Flora St?
When Ex-Mayor Trott and a man named Wilson ran a foot race on the old Wilson Bridge?
When Bruce Davis had a canning factory on Fairview avenue and put up a fine line of goods?
When the old town pump at the corner of Talbot and St. Catharine St. was constantly patronized?
When Bob McCully ran against the writer for first St. Railway Commissioner and won by 4 votes?
When dances were held almost every night in summer at Fairview Park on a big open dance floor?
When the late Magistrate C.F. Maxwell taught in the old Central school, corner of Elgin and Wellington St.?
When the late Crown Attorney McCrimmon lived in the brick house just east of the Canadian Foundry Works?
When Tom Moore (not Tom now in the post office) used to walk a tight rope in Fairview Park, west of Fairview Ave?
When there was a cemetery where the Collegiate Institute now stands, and also on the corner of White and Talbot St.?
When the burglar robbed Lige Moore’s house, corner of Moore and Wellington St., was arrested and escaped from our jail while awaiting to be taken to Toronto?
When the big fires of the Whitwam Mills on Moore St, the Singer Mills on Curtis St, of the big frame hotel which was located right east of the Caladon, and of the old Wilcox House occurred?
When the tollgate on the St. Thomas – -Aylmer road was operated at Moore St., at a point opposite to where the Sutherland Press building now stands. That was before Millersburg was taken into the city. The tollgate later was moved to the east entrance of the city near First Ave. – Edward Boughner, Talbot St.
When Capt. Mark Berry of Pt. Stanley at the request of Capt. McBride of the Hutchinson House, built a boat house on Kettle Creek north of the Hutchinson House and boating was indulged in as far west as the dam for the Turville Flour Mill.
When the waterworks used to be at the foot of New St. and the late Tom Allan (father of the present engineer at the Waterworks) was engineer.
When the flax mill was at the foot of St. George St., north of the bridge on the west side. The water in the mill dam was 18 feet deep and flooded the present Athletic grounds. The Grand Trunk Railway had their pumping station on the creek at the west end of the Grand Trunk yards and an incline railway used to take the coal down to the pumping station.
When the west end crews on the G.T.R. used to keep boats in the freight house and during lay-over here, sometimes for several hours, used to enjoy boating up Kettle Creek. – L. Cluskey, Alma St.
When the Salvation Army first came to St. Thomas in the winter of 1883. Capt.
Holiday and Lieut. Freer used to walk up and down the street ringing a bell and singing. Then they would go to the old town hall to hold their Sunday afternoon and evening service. A few months later Capt. J.C. Addie had charge of the corps. In a short time he was notified that they would be arrested if they did not stop marching and singing on the street but continued as before. A few Sundays later they received word that they surely would be arrested and a large crowd gathered on the west end market. A farmer drove to the meeting in his horse and buggy, the drums and flag were placed in the buggy. Capt. Addie ordered them to march single file on both sides of Talbot St. headed by the man in the buggy with flag and drums. Sgt. Ross of the police force spoke to a man in the army saying “This is not allowed, you know” and the Salvation Army man said, “We are in the right” so from that day the Salvation Army has marched many times on Talbot St. without any interference. – Mrs. Edith Kingwood, Balaclava St.
When the First Baptist Church on the northwest corner of William & Anne St was turned into a cider mill. Also Lord & Bailey carriage and blacksmith shop on the west corner of William & Stanley.- Mrs. E.E. Baker, Maple St.
When the old Maple Leafs, composed of the Burkes, Coynes, Drakes, Kilpatricks, Vails and Whites were playing a game of baseball against London on Lyndhurst flats. Sandy Henderson knocked the ball through a pane of glass in old man Paddon’s house on top of the hill. Talk about the present Babe Ruth driving the ball out of regulation territory, he hasn’t anything on dear old Sandy Henderson. If you dispute the distance pace it off, the house stands there now. – William Boughner, Elizabeth St
When the present post office was built I remember when Jumbo was killed on the G.T.R. I saw his carcass lying on the bank next morning at day break. Also the wreck at the L. & P.S. crossing and saw the terrible fire that followed.- W. Heard, Alma St. When B.F. Honsinger made a home run at the ball game between the Atlantics and Tecumsehs of London at the Canada Southern Park and won the game. Score 8 to 7.- A.P. Conley, Hotel Talbot.
When thousands lined the hill-top opposite the old Times printing office while the late
Geo. Nunn pulled off on the flats below what was to be regular English fox and hound chase. The scheme was to allow the dogs to first see the fox, the men to hold. the hounds fast until the fox was out of sight. The scheme proved a fizzle as the poor fox was overtaken at the first rail fence north. Moral: If you wish to hold a hound don’t first show him the fox. – Glen A. Boughner, Hincks St.
When John E. Nolan, M.C.R. engineer, planted the double row of maple trees on Forest Ave. between Fifth & Ross. He carried a spade on his engine and when he was on a side track near a wood-lot he would dig up a healthy young maple and plant it on Forest Ave.
Elgin County Branch members are allowed two queries published free of charge in each newsletter. Additional queries per newsletter or queries for non-members are $3.00 per query. Queries should be submitted at least one month before publication.
ANDERSON/SHEPPIE – Alpha ANDERSON 25, and Elizabeth SHEPPIE 21, m 19 March 1859 in Elgin Co by Rev Brinton B. Brown, Wes Meth. Res of Bayham Twp. Marr records show that Elizabeth’s prts were Thomas & Ann, Henry Bain and Jane Denton also res of Bayham were wit. Need clarification and additional info re Elizabeth’ prts. Info to Earl T. Newton Jr.
ATKINSON/MURDAUGH – Looking for info on the desc of Wilson ATKINSON and Mary MURDAUGH of Springfield area in South Dorchester & Malahide Twps in Elgin County. Ch: Ellen J. b 1858, Eliza M. b 1860, Sarah A. b 1862, Martha b 1868, Celestia b 1872, Charlotte b 1874, W. John b 1875. Whom did they marry? Buried where? All replies appreciated by Albert M. Atkinson.
LaRUE/PARKER/SHIPPY – Roxanna SHIPPY (b ca 1792 in USA) d/o Zebulon SHIPPY, UEL, m (1) Jesse (Francis) LaRUE c 1810 and (2) John PARKER c 1825. Ch: by LaRUE: Francis, Lydia, Sarah, Jesse Augustus and possibly Betsy, and by PARKER: William and Henry Bingham. LaRUE ch may have been b in New York State. PARKER ch b in Howard Twp, Kent County. Family mvd from Howard Twp to Malahide Twp c 1835. John PARKER d 1 Feb, 1947 (bd in Dunboyne cem). Info needed: Roxanna’s mother; Jesse LaRUE’s prts; b,m,d, & burials of Roxanna, Jesse LaRUE and all LaRUE ch (need only place of b of Sarah LaRUE BUCHANAN). Also need John PARKER’s date and place of b, and b & d of William PARKER. Who was Polina LaRUE, age 21, female, single with Joseph SHIPPY family in 1851-52 census family in Bayham? Anyone with info please contact Earl T. Newton, Jr.
CHAPIN -ELLIOTT – Seeking info on Ida CHAPIN b Nov 1861. Married James E. ELLIOTT in Ingersoll amd mvd to Kansas and sometime to Missouri. Possible relation Samuel F. CHAPIN. Would like info on prts and siblings. Info to Margaret Nagy.
HETHERINGTON/PEACOCK – Mary HETHERINGTON m James PEACOCK. Had son William HETHERINGTON who arrived in St. Thomas or Aylmer area ca 1860 with halfbrother John PEACOCK c 1833 from Armagh or Dublin, Ireland. Both employed by railroad in Malahide and Yarmouth. Both had started with Grand Trunk Railway in Montreal. All info welcomed by Rosemary Peacock.
BROWN/HUNTER – William Henry BROWN b ca 1838 N.B. or Que. m Christina HUNTER b ca 1841, on 21 July 1856 in Malahide Twp, ON. Seeking info on prts and siblings. All info to Nancy Brown.
VAUGHAN/PAYNE – Azariah VAUGHAN b ca 1838 Welland, ON m Sarah Martha PAYNE b c 1842 in Haldimand. Living in Bayham Twp, Elgin Co after 1871. Bro Nelson VAUGHAN, sis Nancy Myron, w/o Henry BRADFIELD, and sister Mary, w/o Peter McGAW also lvd in Bayham. Sis Matilda w/o Thomas RYMER lvd in Norfolk. Seeking info on all named. A Family Reunion of Azariah’s family is being planned for 11 July 1992 in Port Burwell. All info to Nancy Brown.
DAY/O’NEAL – John DAY b 1816 in (?) NY m Catharine O’NEAL b (Kent Co?) ON, Can 1820 Marr in St. Thomas, Elgin Co. ON. Lvd Chatham Twp, Kent Co 1851. 12 Ch b in Can or MI between 1837 & 1866: Samuel b 1837 Can. Sarah Ann b 1839 Can., John B 1842 MI., Aaron b 1846 Can., Alice b 1851 Can., James b 1853 MI., Robert b 1855 MI, Seth b 1859 MI., Elizabeth b 1861 MI. Aaron talked of working in the great north woods of Can as teenager. Seeking info on the above especially Catharine’s family, the O’NEALS, also where they were in MI. Contact Elsie (DAY) WILSON.
WEBBER/BUNDY – William WEBBER (WEBER) b ca 1847 ON, farmer, prts unknown. M (1) Sabina Jemima BUNDY 1876. Sabina b 1857 Houghton Twp, Norfolk Co, to George BUNDY & Ann EASTMAN. Sabina d 1885. (2) Florence Lydia BUNDY, sis of Sabina, in 1885. Florence b 1860, d 1893. Six ch: John Henry 1878, Arthur Rufus 1880, Oscar Eneas 1882, Alma 1882, Annie 1889, George Everine 1892. Fam lvd Bayham Twp, Elgin Co., in 1881. Wishing to reach desc and others researching fam. All info to Karen S. Pendell.
CROOKER/BUNDY – John Edward CROOKER b 1866 Burford, Brant Co., prts not known, d 1943, bd West Ave. Cem, St. Thomas, Elgin Co. Mar (1) Thirza Mary BUNDY b ca 1869 Houghton Twp, Norfolk Co., to George BUNDY and Ann EASTMAN, son Harry Edgar b 1894. (2) Alma BUNDY b 1882 to Florence Lydia BUNDY, fath not known, d 1951, bd in West Ave cem as well. 3 ch: George Christmas Reginald BUNDY 1902, Roy Edwin CROOKER 1909, Ray Lloyd CROOKER 1914. Fam lvd Port Burwell area. Seeking death and cem record for Thirza, marr records for Thirza and Alma & any other info. Wish to contact desc & other researchers of this family. Info to Karen Pendell.
MILLER/MISENER – Looking for desc of Catherine MISENER,d/o Richard MISENER, 1818-1866, and Jacob MILLER 1818-1898, s/o John MILLER of Bertie Twp. Ch: George, Benjamin Franklin, Richard, Mary Jane, w/o Thomas BAKER, John Alexander, Margaret Christiana. Catherine and Jacob bd in St. Thomas cem., Info to Janice Fountain.
HARPER/MISENER – Mary MISENER 1826, d/o Richard MISENER and Hannah COZART (COSSERT) m ____ HARPER & mvd to London, ON. Info to Janice Fountain.
KING/CALCUTT – George KING s/o Joseph KING & Dorothy METCALFE marr Mary Ann CALCUTT 13 July 1863. Mvd to Marlette, MI. Looking for desc. Info to Mrs. Barbara Ferguson.
CALCUT/CALCUTT – Thomas b 1849 Ekfrid Twp, d 1945. Wife was Sylvania, who? b 1852. CH: Alice b 1874 & Richard b 1876. Looking for desc. All info to Mrs. Barbara Ferguson.
FARM FOR SALE
Is offered for sale, the north part of Lot No. 26, 7th Con., Malahide, containing 55 acres. There is thereon a good Sugar Bush of upwards of 200 trees, a new Frame Barn, 30×50, a Frame House, and Good Well of Water. The above farm lies 3 1/2 miles east of Aylmer, and will be sold on reasonable terms.