Elgin County Branch
Ontario Genealogical Society
BOX 416, ST. THOMAS, ONTARIO N5P 3V2
Volume VII Issue Three Sept. 1988
FEBRUARY SCHOOL REPORTS March 8, 1923
S.S. No. 3, YARMOUTH DEXTER
Names in order of merit.
Sr. IV. — Barney Hawley, Ross Helmer, Lynn Sprague
Jr. IV. — Julia Newson, Helen Parker, Ella Stafford.
Sr. III – Coral Hawley, Myrtle Newson, Mac Millman, Eugene Hilliker, Velma Lanning.
Jr. III — Elva Jones, Edna Black, Lew Parker.
Jr. II — Arthur Hawley, Philip Newson
— Leola Jones, Iva Parker
Primer A — Albert Jones, Wesley Sprague
Primer B — Joseph Walker.
S.S. No 8, YARMOUTH SEMINARY
Those marked with * were absent for examinations.
Sr. IV. — Arthur Smale B2, Allan Williams 81, Clara Parker 75, Dorothy Waite 57.
Jr. IV. – Rennie Gillard 67, Hary Lawcon 60, Tom Bowden 43,
Sr. III — Jack Vanvelsor 74, Clayton Robbins 61.
Jr. III — Grace Follette 80, Jean Williams 71, George Martyn 70, Edith Hazel 65, *George Axford 48, *Ruby Tapsell 28.
II — Amy Lawton and Morris Gillard equal, Earl Parker and Donald Burgess equal, Constance Fulcher, Ina Freeman, Frank Parker, Edwin Esseltine, Beatrice Mitchell.
I — Betty Burgess and Esther Williams equal, Alice Garrod and Charlie Lawton equal, Helen Martyn, Glen Van Horne, Frances Mitchell, May Hazell, Ruby Esseltine, Avis Gillard, Reggie Somerville, (Martin Axford absent)
Primer — Bob Burgess, Richard Axford, Donna Tapsell, Lelah Tapsell, Murray Dadson, Alice Esseltine.
S.S. 18, (E.) YARMOUTH CENTENNIAL
Names in order of merit.
Sr. IV — Francis Teeple, Mary Bartlett, Lillian Langs, Joe Clark, Donald Soper, Thelma Small, Myrtle Beal.
Jr. IV — Sherman Ball, Blanche Carson, Herman Carpenter
III — George Carson, Mildred Ostrander, Raymond Ball, Alice Freeman, Donald Ostrander, Beulah Butler, Warren Parker (Jean Gunn absent).
Sr. II — Jean Beal, Henry Mansell
Jr. II — Blake Ball, Edith Gable, Ernest Small, Ward Whaley, Thelma Ball, Fern Carson
I — Ray Faux, Bob Mansell, Harry Norman
Sr. Primer — Rena Ostrander, Jack Evely.
Jr. Primer — Irene Langs, Helen Gloin, Douglas Ostrander, Peter Kwaseck, Earl Robinson, Mary Kwaseck, (Doris Couse absent).
ST. THOMAS – THE RAILWAY CITY
From the St. Thomas Times Journal … Wednesday, June 29, 1927 , copied by Shirley Ewanick
Prior to 1870, the banks were west of Pearl and the real business centre lay between Pearl and Queen. The principal hotels, the Lisgar House and the Hutchinson House were west of Stanley.
EAST vs. WEST
There came a great spread eastward. Grocery stores sprang up where cows had pastured a year or two before. The Moore Block, near the present Masonic Temple (1927) was the only brick building between the L. and P.S. and Metcalfe Street. When Squire Frank Hunt built the block known as Oak Hall in 1882, he was called the “lunatick who built a brick block in the woods.” There was a fued among the citizens who were divided into two camps, one half wanted the development to keep the west end and the other half was for forging ahead east.
Town council argued for years over the site of a market. The old St. Andrew’s market was near Drake’s livery where the Talbot Shoe factory now stands (1927) . The west enders wanted the new market to be between East and Pearl. While the late Edward Horton, Mayor in 1884, the market was established on Manitoba Street and it was called the “Horton Market.” (Note: The 1981 Times Journal article on the names of streets in St. Thomas states that Edward Horton who gave his name to both the street and the market, and Mayor in 1884 was no relation to E.A. Horton, Mayor of St. Thomas from 1918 to 1919.)
NEW CITY HALL
Fights took place, similarly, over the site of the city hall and the post office. To take place of the old city hall, which was near St. Andrew’s market, a new one was built on Talbot Street at the corner of Mondamin Street. The new post office was on the site west of Mary Street and the corner of Talbot Street. Men who were in the say then were W.E. Isardi, Alderman Pat Meehan and Sperin Chant. Banks later moved east also. In 1882 the population was 10,000 and St. Thomas was incorporated as a city. In 1927 the city had a population of approximately 17,000.
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 29, 1927 (Advertisement)
Dancing — Pinafore Park — Friday, July 1st.
Admission 25 c. — Afternoon and Evening — Dancing Free
Mrs. Metcalfe’s Seven—Piece Orchestra
SOLDIERS IN 1866 – LIVING HERE NOW
Men who served in the “Canadian Expeditionary Forces” during the Fenlan campaigns of 1866 or 1870, and who are living in St. Thomas area are:
Dr. J.H. Coyne Daniel Ferguson John Garvin
A.R. MacDonald Tom Johnston William H. Foote
E.H. Switzer Ben Battram John Hopkins
John Kains James Barnes Norman Munro
THE STREETS OF ST.THOMAS
EXTRACTED FROM AN ARTICLE BY ERIC BUNNELL, TIMES JOURNAL,
SATURDAY, JUNE 27, 1981 – ST. THOMAS’S 100TH ANNIVERSARY
ADA — see Coulter
AIREY – Col. Richard Airey was an associate of Col. Thomas Talbot, whose contemporaries fared rather well when it came time to hand out street names.
ALEXANDRIA – after Queen Alexandria, consort of Edward VII.
ALMA bears the name of a battle in the Crimean War, 1854 to 1856. ARTHUR – Duke of Connaught, brother of Edward VII. Scandel tainted his name.
ASHTON Place — surname of the family which once owned the farm predating development.
BALACLAVA — bears the name of a battle in the Crimean War, 1854 to 1856. BALDWIN is thought to honour Robert Baldwin, a Reformist. Baldwin also was the surname of Rev. Maurice Scollard Baldwin, ordained at old St. Thomas Church and later, in 1883, elected to the Bishopric of Huron. Rev. Thomas Baldwin was an early Baptist minister, called the city about 1870.
BARNES — Jonas Barnes, listed as a tile maker in 1872 directory (also gave us Jonas Street).
BARRIE Boulevard in the city’s industrial area bears the family name of Mayor Vincent
Barrie, the city’s chief magistrate for eight years.
BARWICK honours Hugh Barwick, brother-in—law to D.J. Hughes, Elgin’s first judge. BELL — James A. Bell, city engineer, in 1909 designed the St. Thomas sewage treatment plant.
BODKIN preserves the name of former Yarmouth reeve William Bodkin, from whose township the area was annexed.
BOSTWICK Line remembers Col. John Bostwick of Port Stanley, another associate of Col. Talbot.
BRANT honours Captain Joseph Brant, the Six Nations Indian Chief Theyendanegea, who also gave his name to Brant County.
BRINKMAN — Mayor Frank L. Brinkman, who held office in 1920 and 1921, came to St.
Thomas from Michigan in 1889 as an employee of the relocating Featherbone Company, corsetmakers. The company closed but the mayor stayed on as a trainman with the Michigan Central Railway.
General Isaac Brock defended Queenston Heights against American attack in the War
of 1812 after Laura Secord warned him of the impending assault. He was knighted, she was honoured by a chocolate maker.
BRUCE — Governor General James Bruce, eighth Earl of Elgin, the Kings representative from 1846 to 1854, who also gave his name to the County.
BUTLER — uncertain origin, but the name also is the family name of Charles Stewart Butler, merchant, a native son born in 1874, of a family which dates to the earliest days of the city.
Mrs. Augusta Butler relationship unknown, gave the Hiawatha Street site for the Disciples of Christ Institute which opened in 1897, but closed 10 years later as Sinclair College.
BURROWS recalls the man who opened it and built several homes there.
BURWELL – Another associate of the good Col. Talbot, Col. Mahlon Burwell surveyed the first lots on David Rapelje’s farm which grew into St. Thomas .
CANADA WAY was Radio Road until it was changed at the request of Varta Batteries Ltd. CHLO radio formerly had its broadcast facilities on the road . CHANT — Sperrin Chant was mayor in 1901 and 1902.
CENTENNIAL was named at the time of Elgin’s 1952 centennial.
CHESTER bears the Christian name of Chester Roe, son of Charles Roe, a prominent businessman in early St. Thomas. Brothers Charles and Henry also honoured but Charles Street has since disappeared.
CHURCH was and still is the access to old St. Thomas Church, the first built in the city.
It’s one of the oldest streets in the city.
CHURCHILL – Sir Winston Churchill who lead Great Britain through the Second World War.
COLLEGE the first street south of Alma College.
CONFEDERATION recalls Canada’s founding in 1867.
CORA the daughter of Henry Lindop, builder of many early St. Thomas homes .
COULTER — the origin is obscure but W. W. Coulter was a relator who set up shop in
- His son, W.R. Coulter carried on following his father’s death in 1901. He married Ada, who may have been the inspiration of Ada Street.
COYNE honours the Coyne family, of which James Henry Coyne was a prominent member. A native son born in 1843, the son of Henry C. Coyne. Dr. Coyne was a noted local historian, a lawyer by profession who later was appointed county registrar of deeds.
CROCKER honours another George J. Crocker, early merchant and a water commissioner .
CRYUSE honours another early merchant, James E. Cruise, a tailor.
CURRAB in the city’s industrial area also bears the name of a former mayor, Thomas Currah who held office from 1944 to 1945 and from 1952 to 1954. He now  is chairman of the St. Thomas Cemetery Company.
CURTIS remembers Thomas Curtis, who owned land in the area as did George Scott, of nearby Scott Street. Both among the earliest St. Thomas streets to receive family names.
DEVONSHIRE Place recalls Victor Christian Cavendish, the ninth Duke of Devonshire, governor—general from 1916 to 1921.
DIEPPE commemorates the Second World War battle.
DRAKE commemorates Capt. William Drake, an associate of Col. Talbot, one of the colonels’ aides during the rebellious 1830’s. The Captain also gave his name to William Street.
DUCKWORTH bears the family name of Mayor Ernest Duckworth, Chief magistrate from 1936—1938.
DUNKIRK commemorates the Second World War battle
DYER — George Dyer mayor of St. Thomas from 1941—1943.
EDGEWARE bounding the city on the north and South Edgeware Road nearby may have been named by early settlers who emigrated from Great Britain, possible from Edgware in Middlesex County.
ELIZA — See Rosebery
ELIZABETH — Elizabeth Mitchell was sister of Dr. W. C. VanBuskirk, mayor from 1818 to 1882.
ELYSIAN thought to be a corruption of Elison, the family name of Col. John Elison, a clan prominent in city affairs.
ERIE Street had a twin — Erie Street West — renamed Gladstone.
ERMATINGER — The family was prominent in city affairs. Edward Ermatinger was reeve in 1856, Conservative MPP from 1883 to 1886 in East Elgin, and father of Judge Charles Okes Ermatinger, who rewrote his father’s Life of Col. Talbot and the Talbot Settlement, published in 1859 and condemned for being too kind to its subject.
FAIRVIEW overlooks the origin of its name from the highest point in the city.
FARLEY — John Farley, Q.C., was an alderman from 1874 to 1875 and again from 1884 to 1886 who also was chairman of the committee which built the city’s first waterworks.
FLORA the wife of John Smith, mayor in 1879, 1880, and 1886, a hardware merchant who also contributed both is Christian and family names.
FRANCIS – see Hincks
GAS Street disappeared with the gas works.
GAYLORD an executive of Jaeger Machine Company of Columbus, Ohio, who was instrumental in locating a Canadian subsidiary of this employer in St. Thomas.
GEORGE – See St. George.
GLADSTONE — William Ewart Gladstone was British Prime Minister four times during 1868 to 1894. He also gave his surname to the bag.
GLENBANNER — James Hale, a butcher built his home on Glenbanner on property purchased from the Bannerman family, which came to St. Thomas with others from Lord
Selkirk’s Scottish settlement in Red River country .
GLIDDON — Dr. E. C. Gliddon was mayor from 1950 to 1951, the year sod was turned for the St. Thomas—Elgin General Hospital nearby Gliddon Street.
GRAVES — John Graves Simcoe, first lieutenants governor of Upper Canada from 1791 to 1796, with whom as his private secretary young Thomas Talbot first saw the land he later was to settle.
GUEST – Dr. Fred Guest was mayor from 1910 to 1911.
GUSTIN — Dr. E. W. Gustin was chief magistrate in 1883 during whose term council was paralysed by the market controversy until it voted to only deal with accounts. HAMILTON – James Hamilton an associate of Col. Talbot was one of the commissioners appointed with the colonel, Mahion Burwell, Charles Ingersoll and John Matthews to oversee construction of the first court house and jail in London. He later was appointed Middlesex sheriff.
HAMMOND – James Hammond was a long—time property owner and resident of the
Locke’s community area, where the street bearing his surname is found. HENRY Roe was another son of Charles Roe a prominent businessman. — see Charles .
HEPBURN who shared the cost of the Hepburn—Forsyth wing of the Amasa Wood Hospital, was a member of the same early Southwold family as Mitchell Hepburn — Elgin—born premier of Ontario in the 1930’s. HIAWATHA inspired from Longfellow’s Hiawatha, from which a record nine streets were named. Hiawatha means prophet or teacher.
HILCREST formerly was Sunset Ave in the Lynhurst subdivision.
HINCKS — Sir Francis Hincks was inspector—general under Sir Charles Bigot, governor—general of Canada in the 1880s. Francis Street may bear his name. HOLLAND – Rev. Henry Holland conducted Col. Talbot’s funeral at St. Peter’s Church, Tyrconnell, but the street was named to honour the many Dutch people who have settled in St. Thomas.
HORTON — Edward Horton gave his name to both the street and the market. He was mayor from 1884 to 1884, but no relation to E. A. Horton mayor from 1918 to 1919. HOWARD Gibson, now Central Elgin and city planning director (1981), was city engineer when his Christian name was used for temporary designation of a street. The name stuck. The name also recalls Asa Howard, reeve in 1857.
HUGHES — D.J. Hughes, Elgin’s first judge, was a property owner in the city’s northeast, where a street bears his name. INKERMAN a battle of the Crimean War – see Alma
ISABEL was Mrs. Ben Drake, a family prominent in local affairs. — see Drake
IDSARDI — W.E. Idsardi, mayor from 1895 to 1896, masterminded the campaign to build city hall on his property, enhancing the value of his nearby holdings. But the street Isardi possible a corruption.
JANE — See Morrison
JOHN E. Smith bore a name connected with several streets —see Flora
JOHNSON – Marshall Brewster Johnson, Mayor from 1914 to 1915, a coal merchant, may have given his name to Johnson Place.
JONAS Barnes had a name worthy of two streets — see Barnes
JOYCE was the maternal grandmother of W.E. and P.R. Locke, whose family name is remembered in Locke’s community, built on their land.
KAINS – John a Kains, a local barrister, was a deputy judge and also county treasurer.
KING also is attributed to a local fascination with royalty.
LAING — Peter Laing, veteran member of council, was mayor from 1939 to 1940 and
1955 to 1956. He is still going strong (1981)
LAWRENCE from 1906 to 1907, a Michigan Central Railway engineer, later was a lobbyist in Ottawa for the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers. Lawrence, originally
Curtis Street East, disappeared from the map in the early 1880’s to later reappear as
Lawrence Avenue in the city’s southeast .
But Lawrence also was the family name of George Lawrence, an early settler, and the exact origin of the street name is unknown.
LAWTON – Harvey Lawton, Elgin warden in 1933, was Yarmouth reeve and former clerk.
LEGER — Jules Leger was another governor-general honored by the city. see Devonshire.
LOCKE — The Locke family was established early in the countryside surrounding the city before St. Thomas grew to incorporate what was their farm. see Joyce
THE BOOK OF DETROITERS – 1914 – ELGIN COUNTY
— copied by Joan Abele Griffin
DON M. GRAHAM, physican and dentist, born Dutton, Ontario, August 14, 1874, son of
NEIL AND MARGARET (McKILLOP) . Graham educated in public high schools of Glencoe, Ont. Dental Department, Detroit College of Medicine 1898. Married November 30, 1910 to MABEL H. JOHNSTON. Began practice of dentistry 1898 and has engaged in medical practice herewith since 1902. Residence: 406 Hancock Ave. W.
JOHN J. HAYES, stocks and bonds, born in St. Thomas, Ont. December 12, 1874. son of JOHN J. AND JOANNA (REGAN) HAYES: educated at Separate School, St. Thomas, graduating 1900. Married at Detroit, June 10, 1902, to LOUISE KERR STRONG. Was in employ of Michigan Central Rail Road in Canada 1892—1896; in practice of law in Detroit 1900—1909; since manager for Hornblower Weeks, investment bankers. Residence: 497 2nd Ave.
DALE MURRAY KING, physican born St. Thomas , Ont., December 16, 1875, son of WILLIAM H. & BLANCHE (BARRETT) KING; educated in St. Thomas public and high schools; matriculated in Western University, London, Ont., attended University of Michigan one year; graduated in medicine at Cleveland, Ohio, 1896. Married BERTHA HOPE SMITH of Port Hope, Ontario, October 1911 (died September 13, 1912). In practice since 1896, neurologist Grace Hospital. Republican, Episcopalian, Residence: 779 Cass Ave.
BEWARE OF SUCH PEOPLE WHO OFFER TO PROVIDE YOU WITH AN ALREADY COMPILED BOOK OF YOUR ANCESTRY I!!
“ELIZABETH ROSS” a publisher of “Family Albums” has hit on a new advertising scheme. She now assumes, as her maiden name, the name of the family to whom she is attempting to sell her books. When advertising the “Deshay Family” album she identifies herself as “Elizabeth Deshay Ross”; when advertising the “Beierschmitt
Family” album she identifies herself as “Elizabeth Beierschmitt Ross”. We also note that “Elizabeth” is no longer associated with American Genealogies Inc. (Whatever that might be.) She now givers her address as Genealogy Room, Box 5300, Scranton, PA 18505—5300. This latest flagrant example of false advertising has been brought to the attention of the Consumer Protection Division of the U.S. Postal Service. In order to pursue this matter the Postal Service needs to know of people who have ordered one of these books, believing it to have been compiled by a member of the family in question. If you know of such people please write or have them write to NGS Newsletter Editor, 4527—17th Street, N. Arlington, VA 22207.
HALBERTS — POSTAL PROMOTIONS LTD.
In the February 19868 issue of “Notes from Niagara” it was reported that Postal Promotions Ltd. of Toronto, which was carrying out business under the name of HALBERT’S, was fined $9,000 for misleading advertising in the sale of Mail— Order Books about family ancestry.
It seems that Halbert‘s is at it again. Though they were recently fined again — this time $20,000 — some of our members have reported to us that they have received promotional literature from this company in the last month offering them a book listing approximately 95% of all the households bearing the same names. This time they are calling their book(s) “The Amazing (fill in the name) New World Registry”.
O.G.S. REGION 2 REPORT – ELGIN-MIDDLESEX-OXFORD
The Board of Directors recinded the “new membership policy” of the 1986 Annual General meeting at a meeting of the Board on Friday, May 20. The recinding of the Board’s decision was ratified (the vote 173 in favour of ratifying the Directors’ decision, 34 opposed and 30 abstentions) at the Annual General Meeting on Saturday, May 21st. This means that the membership policy remains as it was. A request was made by the President elect, Judith Mitton, that individuals and branches submit in writing proposals for a new membership policy for consideration. The remaining activities of the Board of Directors was ratified.
A brief Director’s meeting was held for the election of officers. The following individuals were elected to office: President, Judith Mitton; Vice—President, Alison Lobb; Vice—President Finance, Ev Zytveld; Corporate Secretary, Louise Hope; Dawn Broughton accepted the position of Recording Secretary.
A Board of Director s meeting was held Sunday evening. The means by which we would change our membership structure to adhere to the Ontario Corporations Act and regulations was again introduced. The special Membership Policy Committee is composed of Ken Collins, Bob Halfyard, Laurena Storey, Judith Mitton and Alison Lobb who has since agreed to chair the committee.
It was decided to reduce staffing the office for the summer as a cost saving measure. The Board of Directors is very conscious of the necessity of closely controlling expenses in order to have a balanced budget.
As your new Region 2 Director, I will be instituting the Region 2 Council. The council will be composed of the Regional Director, Secretary and executive of the three branches with the President of O.G.S. as ex officio. The exact composition and business will be discussed and decided by the members of the Region 2 Council. The next Region 2 meeting will be held in Woodstock on October 1st, 1988. The guest speakers will be Bessie Diebel and Brian Gilchrist. I hope to meet you there. Please feel free to write to me at anytime — Laurena Storey.
The Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library, History Department, 4th floor, 789 Yonge Street (above Bloor and Yonge Streets) now has a copy of the I.G.I. —(L.D.S. — International Genealogical Index).
ROOTS II — Ken Gowie has started a users group for the genalogical program ROOTS II for anyone who is interested. The meetings are to be held every month on. a Tuesday evening (yet to be determined) . The meetings will be held at the O.G.S. office at 40 Orchard View Blvd. from 8 to 10 pm. For more information contact Mr. K. Gowie.
LIGHT – info on William F. LIGHT, b 1834, Bayham Twp, Elgin Co. aka as Capt. Frank, sailing out of Port Burwell. Son Frederick w. b 1867 (aka Capt Fred) sailed beteen Port Burwell and Madison, Ohio. Had first wife Emily, (1844-ca 1880), and raised by second wife Miranda, 5 ch (3 girls, 2 boys). William and wives believed bd in Port Burwell. Possibly son of George (1782 – 1864) & Mary (1790 – 1871) LIGHT, settled near Vienna in 1820’s. All info to Chris Light.
LAUR – Looking for prts of Abraham LAUR b 1840’s Malahide Twp, Elgin Co., d Cleveland, Ohio (dales unknown) Married Lydia BEARSS, d ca 1880 (dau Clara & Ethyl). 2nd wife Annie BEARSS (dau Emma and Mabel). Moved to Delhi. Family photo taken in Tillsonburg, ca 1890’s. Abraham was a tinsmith. All info to Chris Light.
CLAYPOLE – William, seeking birth, death, parents and brothers and sisters. was Jenny FOWLER, d/o Philip FOWLER. She died 5 Oct 1886 in London, Ontario. and is bd in Mt. Pleasant Cem. London. It is believed William d as early as 1900. Known Ch were: Florence m Alfred DAWDY, William m Annie GARSIDE, Harry m Letha DAWDY, and Frank. All info to Brenda Hanson.
McCAFFERY Ellen- w/o Frederick FOWLER. seeking any info on her prts, bros & sis. Were living in Caradoc, Middlesex Co. Ontario in 1881. Their names were Henry and Margaret; bros were Dennis, Henry & William. Ellen died 5 April, 1903 and is bd in St.Thomas. Info to Brenda Hanson.
ORCHARD-COWAN: Frederick William ORCHARD, b 13 Oct 1880’s; b Dublin/London, Eng, which? Son of James, London. Mother ? Sister ? Suspected Barnardo child, arr Canada April 1899 on S.S. Dominion to Marchmont Homes, Belleville. Worked in S. Monaghan Twp., and Melrose (Middlesex Co.) and Myrehall (Elgin co) M 1931, Ida Edith COWAN, Que., b 10 Dec 1904, dau of Frank And Sarah?; Bros Harry, Louis, Oscar, Charles. Raised 5 ch in Toronto, died 195O’s All info appreciated by Mrs. June McCormick.
McFADYEN / McPHADDEN: Joseph b c 1870, labourer Toronto, Ontario m Hulday or Effie HILL/HALL/THOMPSON (c 1895-1896) dau of Thomas HALL & Margaret THOMPSON; Gertrude Mabel b July 28,1897. Effie/Hulday remarried May 12/1903 to John BYERS at Todmorden, Toronto. Seek any info of Joseph and or desc., All info to Ronald E. Hobson.
DENNIS William 1913-1878 and wife Rebecca BREWER 1813-1876 lived in Malahide and are bd at Luton. Did William Marry again after Rebecca’s death? Bible records a marriage to Martha Jane SMART. His property was willed to Martha Jane ROCKEY (wife of John ROCKEY) who sold it to Wilson HUNT in 1878. Would appreciate any info concerning this marriage. Info to Mrs Grace L. Noad.
DENNlS Enos b 1796 m Mary McEWEN, lived in Malahide and Peter b 1803 married a SEITZ, also lived in Malahide. Enos and Peter bros to William above. Need deathdates and info regarding descendants. Mrs. Grace L. Noad.
MOORE -What became of Jeanette, widow of Albert MOORE she d 25 March 1881. Later that year she, 37 resided in AYLMER with daus Alma, 16, Sarah, 14, and Nellie 12. What became of the girls? Info to Ross McCurdy.
WEEKS – Seek info & desc of Walter & Elizabeth Jane (MATTHEWS) WEEKS. Walter was b ca 1841, s/o Amos WEEKS. They lived in Malahide Twp in 1881 with Mary, 4, Ransom, 2, & Lorne 8/12. All info to Ross W. McCurdy.
ELGIN COUNTY BRANCH
ONTARIO GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
BOX 416, ST. THOMAS, ON. N5P 3V2
CHAIRMAN Mrs. Norma Smith
CORRESPONDING SEC. Miss Anne Daugherty
MEMBERSHIP SEC. Mrs. Marg Daugherty
QUERY SECRETARY Mrs. Norma Smith
NEWSLETTER EDITOR Mrs. Brenda Edmonds
PUBLICATIONS Mrs. Joan Bircham
MEETINGS: Elgin County Branch, OGS., meetings are held on the Second
Wednesday of each month in the Carnegie Room of the St. Thomas Public Library on
Curtis Street, EXCEPT – June (reserved for cemetery transcription); December (reserved for a social evening) -locations to be announced; July and August NO meetings held.
TALBOT TIMES is published quarterly. (Mar. June Sept. Dec.). Articles and news items are invited. Submissions should be made at least one month before publication, to be published if space allows, or held for subsequent publications. The TALBOT TIMES makes every effort to provide accurate information and disclaims responsibility for errors or omissions. Articles do not necessarily reflect the views of branch officers or newsletter staff.
QUERIES: Elgin County Branch members are allowed two queries published free of charge in each newsletter. Additional queries per newsletter or queries for nonmembers are $3 per query. Queries should be submitted at least one month before publication directly to Mrs. Norma Smith.