St. PAUL’S, FINGAL, DEDICATED
St Thomas Daily Times, 28 September 1914, Page 3, c1
“It’s a Long Way to Tipperary.” Remarked Bishop Fallon as he Reached Fingal for the Ceremony
Sunday last was a historic day in the annals of the Roman Catholic people of Southwold Township, for it marked the opening, with impressive ceremonies, by His Lordship Bishop Fallon of London, of the first Catholic temple in that township, at the village of Fingal, under the title and patronage of St Paul. The building, which is of white brick is 36 by 60 feet in area, and will seat 250 people. It has a commodious basement and a good drive shed, and it stands upon a spacious corner lot well ornamented by large trees. A broad pavement of artificial stone connects the street with the front portal.
This splendid property was most generously donated for the use of the Catholics of the whole district by Richard McCahill, and grateful thanks for this munificent gift were feelingly tendered him by the Bishop during the dedicatory exercises, in the name of the Diocese of London, and especially on behalf of Rev. Father West and his flock in Fingal and Southwold.
The altar and its graceful recedes are of Gothic design, the color scheme being pure white with gold enrichments. Occupying two great panels above the altar are two really striking mural paintings by Mrs John Butler, namely: “St Peter, the chief of the Apostles, holding two massive keys. (Matt. 16 – 16: 19) and St Paul lightly resting his hands upon a sword, the weapon of his martyrdom.
A Long Way to Tipperary
High mass was celebrated at 10:30 A. M. by Rev. Father West, assisted by the excellent music of Holy Angels’ choir of St Thomas. At 3:30 p.m. His Lordship Bishop Fallon arrived by automobile from London, accompanied by his brother Rev. Father Fallon and Rev. Father Goodwin of St Thomas. As the Bishop stepped from the vehicle he smiled on those near at hand and remarked, “It’s a long way to Tipperary.”
The ceremonies for dedication were proceeded with by the bishop assisted by all the clergy. The acolytes were Masters Cecil Coughlin and Patrick McManus of St Thomas and two young sons of John Ferguson of Southwold. The procession having circumambulated the exterior of the edifice with the usual rites prescribed for such occasions, made solemn entry and proceeding to the altar, chanted the “Litany of the Saints.”
The Bishop’s Address
His Lordship then addressed the closely packed assemblage, half of those present being non-Catholics. His splendid sermon – or rather ‘talk’ it may be called – was delivered in his usual clear, bold, uncompromising style, and withal was fraught with a pleasant tinge of humor and comradeship and undying loyalty to Canada and the Empire in its hour of peril. But the main theme of his remarks referred to the Catholic doctrine of the mass, and especially was explanatory of the symbolism of every garment, every accessory, and every gesture employed during the celebration of the Holy Eucharist. “Unless understood and its solemn import grasped,” said the bishop, “the mass would seem to the onlooker of another faith to be merely empty form and an unmeaning ritualism.” It would be impossible to do justice the able handling of his subject by Bishop Fallon, short of a complete report.
The sermon was followed by the solemn service, Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament.
The special voluntary plate collection towards the expenses of the furnishings amounted to a handsome sum. Rev Father West tenders his sincere thanks to all who assisted and attended, both non-Catholics and Catholics, for their presence and generous help.❑
St. Paul’s Catholic church was on the corner of Church and Fingal Line.
Grant made 29 June 1912 registered 3 July 1912 sale of Lot 12 Reg plan 32 made by School Trustees of Number 12 Southwold Twp for $480 to Duncan McAlpin
(see jpg of St Paul’s church Fingal The white brick building was formerly a Methodist church and was acquired as a two room school in 1898 by the school section and used until 1912 when a new school was built on the Talbot line Elgin road # 16) east of Fingal. This school served Fingal until early 1970s)
Grant made 29 June 1912 registered 17 August 1912 from Duncan McAlpin and wife to Richard McCahill for $600
Grant made and registered 28 December 1912 Richard McCahill to Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation of the Dioceses of London in Ontario for $1
Grant made 27 July 1950 registered 7 Sept 1950 Episcopal Corporation of the Dioceses of Huron in Ontario with consent of
Right Rev Andrew Parett Mahoney, Very Rev John Austin Roney, Most Rev John Cady , Bishop of said Dioceses
also executors to Josephine Davis for $200.
In 1921 the population of the hamlet of Fingal was 240 with 8 of the population being Catholic. Mass was held the fist Sunday of the month at 11am (ref page 35 of History of the St Thomas (Catholic) Parish 1803-1921 by Monsignor West)
Richard McCahill was a farmer who lived on South ½ of Lot 3 Concession 3 Southwold (Ref !923 Cummins map)
His father John McCahill is shown on same lot in 1877 historical atlas (Post office West Magdala)
Richard seems have been unmarried (1901 census)
Both buried Holy Angels Cemetery St Thomas. Plot #1002
Richard A. McCahill born 1 June 1844 died Nov 25 1928
His sister Mary Ann McCahill died 1932 (Nov)
His father John McCahill died April 2 1898 in his 90th year
Ann (John’s) wife died Nov 18 1869 age 51
Thomas son of John and Ann died April 25 1864 age 22